This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting sag on my fox forks??
Hey guy's, i've fitted some fox float rl 130mm forks to my giant trance. I set them up for sag at about 25-26mm, this was at 80psi. I weight a tiny bit under 11 stone in my boxers. The sag was set-up with full riding kit/backpack etc on and sitting down. I'm finding I'm not using all the travel (about 110-115mm) so i thought i'd look into the set-up a little more. I've found that fox reccomend 65-75 psi for my weight.

My questions are:

-Should i be looking at having more sag with a 130mm travel fork, i've only just noticed fox suggest 32mm of sag for my all mountain/trail riding style.
-How should i set my sag? Standing up sitting down?

I've just had a little play with the pressures and at 70psi i'm getting 30-31mm of sag with full riding kit on sitting down. This to me sounds about right and i'll have a ride on it at the weekend but wanted advice from you guy's to confirm.

Hugh
sag is meant to be set whilst you are in attack position : so standing up as if you was attacking a rough section, i find leaning on a wall helps
As Steve said, standing up attack position, use a loose cable tie on the stanchions and have someone watch whilst you carefully get off the bike or measure it right then, to avoid any bouncing moving it.

25% of total travel is typical for XC use. You always want a bit of fork travel in reserve and should be aiming to only achieve full travel on big hits/drops/jumps and only a couple of times a ride at most.
ok thanks guy's, i've been setting it sitting down! I'll set it up with around 30-32mm of sag as suggested and see how it feels to ride!

Hugh