This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perry Woods
Anybody rode Perry Woods before. Its pretty local to me, few miles outside of faversham, so was just wondering what it was like and if it was worth a ride?
I cant find it on the map, which direction from Faversham?

You arent that far from Church Wood knows as Blean on here where lots of people ride and infact a question for all you lot that go up there. Have you ever checked out the woods below the A2, Denstead Wood etc, same size as the 'Blean' ones plus just north east you have Clowes Wood and West and East Blean wood.

Clowes wood has nice some gradient in it going by the OS map and Denstead in particular has some very steep bits
I / we have ridden round Clowes and Thornden woods which tend to be a little drier in the winter but in general i find the singletrack isn't quite as good or flowing.  That said i know church woods much bettter so i'm not really giving it a fair assessment.  The Kent Trails guys know the Blean (the name for the whole collection of woods) superbly well and i intend to ride with them more to learn the trails myself.

I've not been south of the A2 yet - its one for some exploration i think!
Yes I would, take a look at this, large jpeg due to resolution, lots of close contour lines! Also the Blean Woods themselves (wtf blean, west blean, east blean etc! lol) just West of Church Woods, mega tight contours. The red route was the one I did on new years day with andy and steve. Need to investigate the South parth of Church Woods as well where its infact called Willows Wood.

http://complexdreams.com/pics/bikes/Temp/Blean.jpg
I know Blean Wood (west of Church Wood) which is great and there used to be a superb off camber downhill section but it got hacked up by vehicles and is now as rutted as a Bedgebury fireroad  >Sad  Its also very muddy over there but there is still plenty of potential for exploration.

I beleive Willows Wood is mostly deforested now an i've not seen many rideable paths there.  Also there is a paintball arena around there somewhere as i found out by accident...
"Alan" Wrote:Anybody rode Perry Woods before. Its pretty local to me, few miles outside of faversham, so was just wondering what it was like and if it was worth a ride?
I have ridden Perry Woods a few years ago.  IIRC, it was badly cut up by tractors and horses.  I never did find many trails, TBH.  I think that may be a case of me not finding them, rather than not being any.  There is a fun little dirt-jump section near the car-park, that is MTB friendly (the course, not the uber-cool-Stinky riding oikes Tongue)
IIRC, it's nearly all footpaths. Very few bridleways.

Let us know if you do find any decent trails there, as it'd make a change to ride somewhere closer than Blean for a change.
"Breezer" Wrote:I cant find it on the map, which direction from Faversham?

You arent that far from Church Wood knows as Blean on here where lots of people ride and infact a question for all you lot that go up there. Have you ever checked out the woods below the A2, Denstead Wood etc, same size as the 'Blean' ones plus just north east you have Clowes Wood and West and East Blean wood.

Clowes wood has nice some gradient in it going by the OS map and Denstead in particular has some very steep bits

Is in Selling. About 3 miles outside of faversham. I went there Saturday and it wasn't all that great to be honest. Very cut up and several trees over the paths so had to get off the bike in order to get over them

http://www.faversham.org/pages/directory...geID=12873

I know I am that far from Blean but I wanted somewhere closer to ride so thats why I am looking around at other places
ah I see it now, I wasnt looking that far away, its only a mile or so closer than the west edge of Blean where they all ride
So what was the verdict of perry woods? I believe there are signs warning cyclists to stick to the bridleways and that there are rangers policing the woods. No point going if this is the case. Pity really as it looks like there are a couple of hills there.
[quote="]So what was the verdict of perry woods? I believe there are signs warning cyclists to stick to the bridleways and that there are rangers policing the woods. No point going if this is the case. Pity really as it looks like there are a couple of hills there.[/quote"]I really like Perry woods. There are a couple of big hills and several DH runs and a decent drop off at the top. The best bits are round by the car park. We've gone through there a couple of times on KT rides and havent seen any rangers or anyone giving us a hard time.