This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New forks or new bike
Right now i know i have a stunning bike and i love it to bits but due to riding with you guys i am now pushing my limits and the bike is now at the limit as to what it can do.

I currently ride a Whyte E120 which weights about 26.5 lbs and has 120mm travel at the back and a 130mm revelation on the front.

I love the lightness of the bike and i enjoy the fact that it manuals easily allowing me to lift the front over stuff quite easily..

The issue comes when i'm riding rough stuff fast which i now doing more ofen, the revs up front are great most of the time but i do find that they are getting overwhelmed and i am hanging on as there is not enough control.

The question is this - do i buy new forks or do i go up to a 140mm travel bike....

My thoughts....  

new fork - a fox float 140 rlc QR15, this fork i am told has the same axle to crown measurement as my revs so the geometry will stay the same but the fork offers an extra 10mm travel, stiffer steering with the 15mm qr and most importantly better damping to give me better control.... sounds great...   only in white though and i woud love black...  weight wise they are a touch heavier than my revs but its not much..

New bike - i am looking at a Zesty 714 which has rave reviews and great kit and 140mm travel and is rated as very xc cabable and very FR capable... but it does have a longer wheelbase and i am not that keen on losing the easy front wheel lift...  oh and weighs an incredible 25.8 lbs...

New forks - £550 minus £150 for selling revs = £400

New bike - £3500 minus £1400 for selling my current bike = £2100

Any thoughts....

Cheers
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Any thoughts?  Hmm i'll sidestep the obvious "give me your bike" type responses.  A new bike is always tempting.  New forks could transform what is already a superb bike.  If it were me i'd be looking at the new forks but if money is not an issue why not spoil yourself?!
I would probably go for the forks as they will be a world apart in performance terms. I never used all of the travel on the back of the Turner and didnt want to go over 130mm for my new bike but did in the end just. That Zesty will be for a medium without pedals so figure 26.5 with them for a large if thats what you need
Ha ha ha... money is an issue...  but riding my bike is what i do and the fact i don't drive a flash car or even own a telly let alone a home cinema system then i feel owning a lovely bike is justiied.

The real thing is will a new bike be so much more capable than my bike with a better fork...

I am planning a test ride on a zesty and i am going to take my bike along an session a few tracks on both...   wht i don't really know is what difference the new fork would make on my bike.... i will get an idea about the fork wen i ride the zesty as they come with them...
im running 140mm travel front and back and i find that more then enough for even the DJ's i throw mine over.  even when im running my forks and shock rather soft they never bottom out so if 140mm does for DJ's surely 130mm copes for XC ?
&quot;TooYoungToKnow&quot; Wrote:im running 140mm travel front and back and i find that more then enough for even the DJ's i throw mine over.  even when im running my forks and shock rather soft they never bottom out so if 140mm does for DJ's surely 130mm copes for XC ?

I dunno how BMXs cope on DJs then with 0mm of travel  Tongue, the less travel the better for DJ.

Its a tricky question that one Nigel, i would definatley get a test bike and see if your current bike really is wrong for the sort of things your doing on it now. New forks wouldnt transform the bike into a new machine, but the your hardly going to notice an extra 20mm with a new frame. What else about your current frame is making you consider a new one? geometery? the fact its carbon? travel? etccc
&quot;Buzz&quot; Wrote:I dunno how BMXs cope on DJs then with 0mm of travel  Tongue, the less travel the better for DJ.

Its a tricky question that one Nigel, i would definatley get a test bike and see if your current bike really is wrong for the sort of things your doing on it now. New forks wouldnt transform the bike into a new machine, but the your hardly going to notice an extra 20mm with a new frame. What else about your current frame is making you consider a new one? geometery? the fact its carbon? travel? etccc

shhhh dont tell anyone i need the rear sus and 40mm + extra sus over everyone else to make up for my "sketchy" landings  Undecided
&quot;Buzz&quot; Wrote:I dunno how BMXs cope on DJs then with 0mm of travel  Tongue, the less travel the better for DJ.

Not sure there is a problem, to be honest i rarely notice anything about the back end and i think that a good carbon frame is stronger than a aluminium frame.

As for the geometry i feel happy on the bike and don't really have anythin to compare it too so that doesn't bother me..

Its not a question of the amount of travel but rather the control... the forks just get overwhelmed and then i end up literally being shaken to bits and hanging on for dear life.. this may be a lack of ability on my part but i do think more capable forks might make the difference.

I would need new wheels then too..

I will test ride a zesty next week over at surrey so i can do a straight comparision...
&quot;Mbnut&quot; Wrote:Not sure there is a problem, to be honest i rarely notice anything about the back end and i think that a good carbon frame is stronger than a aluminium frame.

As for the geometry i feel happy on the bike and don't really have anythin to compare it too so that doesn't bother me..

Its not a question of the amount of travel but rather the control... the forks just get overwhelmed and then i end up literally being shaken to bits and hanging on for dear life.. this may be a lack of ability on my part but i do think more capable forks might make the difference.

I would need new wheels then too..

I will test ride a zesty next week over at surrey so i can do a straight comparision...
Sounds like new forks might be the best idea then, as the Rev's are a trail fork, and you/we are definitely verging on "all mountain-freeride" kinda stuff. Like you say it is a bloody strong frame, as one of the MBR guy's is ragging the living shite out of his by the sounds of it with no problems. I noticed a massive difference when i got the Pike with 20mm Maxel, and from what i have read the QR15 is just as stiff, so the extra front end stiffness might give you a bit more confidence. I never felt my forks were being overwelmed at all in Afan, even when my lack of skill and stupidity saw me bouncing down the big step section on the second or third to last trail on Skyline completely on the front wheel :o
Check with Breezer, he may have some forks for sale that may suit...