This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ceramic BB
Does anyone run a ceramic BB?  I'm looking at the superstar ones but can't decide whether its worth double the money of the standard one.  I have one of the older style standard ones from Superstar and its lasted OK but not brilliantly.

I'm looking at 2009 HTII ones

Any opinions?
"pittgoat" Wrote:Does anyone run a ceramic BB?  I'm looking at the superstar ones but can't decide whether its worth double the money of the standard one.  I have one of the older style standard ones from Superstar and its lasted OK but not brilliantly.

I'm looking at 2009 HTII ones

Any opinions?

review from MTBUK recently:

"Very cheap but only cheerful for a few weeks", "despite claims of a longer life for ceramic bearings it started to creak after a few weeks of summer use"

doesnt seem worth it really Undecided

just looked around a bit more aswell for you nick as im bored

the advantages of ceraminc bearings are only really felt at low RPM's and after seeing how you fly around when out on a bike well your cranks are spinning far above low RPM Big Grin
also most of the cheaper ones come with a stainless steel race which is softer then the bearings resulting in the race being worn down quickly
marks got a hope one
I have had hope Ceramic BB now for about a year and have not had any problems. before that i had XT BB and broke 2 in about 6 month. well worth it in my opinion as you can just fit and forget
Broke? as in broke the axle?? Surely that cant be right, if it is then no wonder you break loads of frames heh! XT ones have been ok for me, bearing life has ranged from a year to about 2 on the hard tail. Shame prices have gone up so much though! I paid about £100 or less for a complete XT chainset with rings and BB 6 months ago, its £145 odd now!
Tempted as i was to go ceramic I checked my bank account last night and First Choice have only just charged me for the spending money i took to Berlin at the start of February!!  My balance has taken quite a hit...

So i went with the standard BB this time.  I need a new one on the hardtail as well so maybe when i'm feeling more flush i'll try a ceramic one and put this one on the HT.  Cheers for the advice guys