This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ram
I'm thinking of upgrading the RAM in my computer Currently I have this 6GB of DDR3-1333 SODIMM 2RX8 RAM in a 2 + 4 GB combination.

The question is... Can I put in a 8GB 1600mhz stick instead of the 2GB (only 2 slots) or do I have to match the 1333mhz for them to work together.
Check the website of the company who make it, they will list all compatible modules. If it only has 2 slots it may not support 8GB sticks but you never know
"Breezer" Wrote:Check the website of the company who make it, they will list all compatible modules. If it only has 2 slots it may not support 8GB sticks but you never know

It's a year old so would hope it supports them. I've tried talking to Dell but they are fairly useless tbh. How can I find out what Ram it will support  Undecided
http://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/u...kdhs1&l=en    then enter service tag and find the manual i guess, will probably list specs in there
Crucial memory have a machine scanner that will give you your options and what will work etc Wink
The dell support website tells me they can upgrade it to another 4gb stick so a total of 8gb...but potetially that's because thats all they sell.
"Laggingbehind" Wrote:I'm thinking of upgrading the RAM in my computer Currently I have this 6GB of DDR3-1333 SODIMM 2RX8 RAM in a 2 + 4 GB combination.

The question is... Can I put in a 8GB 1600mhz stick instead of the 2GB (only 2 slots) or do I have to match the 1333mhz for them to work together.

Do you know if you have 64 bit windows, if not, upgrading will be useless. Also it all depends on your motherboard, some can only handle up to a certain amount, and some can handle a certain amount per slot.
It's all a bit of a nuisance really.
And ALSO RAM works in pairs, do you mean that there are only two slots in total for RAM?
"BennyP" Wrote:Crucial memory have a machine scanner that will give you your options and what will work etc Wink

Just about to say this.  Go to Crucial!