This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running a trance without a shock guard??
Hey guy's, i've been running a lizard skinz on my 06 trance. As you know the shock is quite exposed on this frame. I've noticed that on mucky rides, dirt gets under the lizard skinz and potentially rubs along the shock shaft. I can't afford a new carbon frame guard right now so i'm wondering would it beok to run without a lizard skin or shock guard? Any of you guy's do this?

Hugh
"hugh_b" Wrote:Hey guy's, i've been running a lizard skinz on my 06 trance. As you know the shock is quite exposed on this frame. I've noticed that on mucky rides, dirt gets under the lizard skinz and potentially rubs along the shock shaft. I can't afford a new carbon frame guard right now so i'm wondering would it beok to run without a lizard skin or shock guard? Any of you guy's do this?

Hugh

ive never run a shock guard on my shock and its been fine even after mud brawls with the bike.  Aslong as you wipe the stanchion (is it still called this?) down atfer the ride then the seals will do the rest keeping stuff out of the shock
I have the standard plastic shock guard and while it keeps some muck away from the shock there is still a lot that gets in.  I guess its to stop impact from larger objects like stones though.  A plastic guard should be pretty cheap shouldn't it?  Can you duck tape the area the guard would go in the short term?
"pittgoat" Wrote:I have the standard plastic shock guard and while it keeps some muck away from the shock there is still a lot that gets in.  I guess its to stop impact from larger objects like stones though.  A plastic guard should be pretty cheap shouldn't it?  Can you duck tape the area the guard would go in the short term?

didn't know they did a plastic one! will have a look into that.

Hugh
You can buy shock guards???  :o
"BMJBOY" Wrote:You can buy shock guards???  :o

Yeah, for the older frames as the shock is very much exposed! I have all the mounting hardware on mine but the tight gits at giant decided they wouldn't include one with the bike!
Im finding it quite funny that my new bike comes with a bell, lights and reflectors which I believe it has to by law, but no shock pump

But then printers dont come with £2 usb leads despite all of them needing one! (or £2 network cable!)
From the pictures, do you have to remove the shock to fit it?
"BMJBOY" Wrote:From the pictures, do you have to remove the shock to fit it?

Nope - not on mine (07 model) anyway