This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Play In Rear Hub
ok now the rear hub is playing up  Sad just a big long list of stuff to fix  Big Grin

the rear hub has quite a bit of play in it, the axle moves around in the shelling.  This hub has been constantly sealed by a metal seal and rubber dust seal so i dont think any think has got in there.  ive tried tighetening it up but it feels as tight as it can go yet there is still play.

any ideas?
Buy a new hub, like we told you when you had the same problem with your front hub Wink  
"Treehugger" Wrote:Buy a new hub, like we told you when you had the same problem with your front hub Wink  

i just wanted to check to make sure it was the same problem as this one has all seals correct and present and i thought it might of been a differnet cause :B
Only way to find out is to strip it down. My guess is the races are fooked. Is it still spinning smooth, or can you hear/feel any grinding?
"Treehugger" Wrote:Only way to find out is to strip it down. My guess is the races are fooked. Is it still spinning smooth, or can you hear/feel any grinding?

nope spins for ages and is smooth, the front hub made a noise like it had stones for bearings so this is why i thought it may of been different Undecided
Sounds like the races have worn away then, and if you can't tighten the cones any more there is nothing else you can do apart from replace. This is why iwill never buy a cup and cone hub again. My front bearings gave up a few weeks ago, and it took less than 10 minuets and £2.50 to replace them 8) Have a hunt around on fleebay for anything with cartridge bearings. If you can't afford Hope, Halo, Da Bomb and DMR are also very good.
"Treehugger" Wrote:Sounds like the races have worn away then, and if you can't tighten the cones any more there is nothing else you can do apart from replace. This is why iwill never buy a cup and cone hub again. My front bearings gave up a few weeks ago, and it took less than 10 minuets and £2.50 to replace them 8) Have a hunt around on fleebay for anything with cartridge bearings. If you can't afford Hope, Halo, Da Bomb and DMR are also very good.

ok cheers for that then andy, was drawn towards some spin doctors, get both for less then a hope rear one !, yes i understand you get what you pay for but anythings better then these hubs  Big Grin
Steve, you'll need to check your spoke lengths to make sure you can get away with just a hub change. If your talking about hubs spokes & wheel building you'll probably be best buying a whole new wheelset as a cheaper option.

DT Swiss website has a spoke calculator

Chainreaction has a wheel deal at the moment ... <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10790">http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10790</a><!-- m -->
&quot;Laggingbehind&quot; Wrote:Steve, you'll need to check your spoke lengths to make sure you can get away with just a hub change. If your talking about hubs spokes & wheel building you'll probably be best buying a whole new wheelset as a cheaper option.

DT Swiss website has a spoke calculator

Chainreaction has a wheel deal at the moment ... <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10790">http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10790</a><!-- m -->

thats a good deal, i just doubt it will take me doing jumps on it aswell as XC  Big Grin any thoughts on the halo SAS wheelsets?
Is this the newish wheel on the Banshee? If so take it back