This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ground Clearance Woes..
As I briefly mentioned in a post somewhere.... Im struggling to come to terms with what Im classing as very low ground clearance on the Trance X2.

Now, one thing I "may" need checking is my sag on the rear shock, but Im 95% sure its correctly set at 25% total travel.

After riding Bedge this weekend, Im clouting LOTS of things with my pedals now - is this just something I have to deal with?

I was quite concerned after the Bedge ride, as Ive got Afan coming up where clearance is very important (especially on those very narrow sections on the Wall!!)

Has anyone else noticed issues with (especially) their Trance or FS bike??

Maybe Im so used to HT behavior, the compression/suspension under load is catching me out.
Could be the latter. What is the ground clearance off the bike and on it? The Zesty is about 1/4" higher than the Turner and I never caught pedals with that however I did a couple of times yesterday which I put down to the suspension being a bit plusher and ive been on a HT for the last couple of months so used to having to stand and not pedals bumpy/rooty bits whereas now I just ride through/over them grinning and my mobile sofa whilst still pedalling

How tall are you? shortish I seem to recall as looking at smaller frames, 170mm cranks may be a suitable option but its not much difference. Could also try a set of kenda tyres as they have very high profiles, upto a cm higher in some cases.

I am planning a trip to COUGH soon, could meet up if you wanted and you could try my Nevegals out
Im 5'9/5'10ish - over 6ft in my high heels!  :B

I could compare ground clearance as my mate has the same XTC as I did, so I should do a direct comparison.

Ive got 175 XT cranks on.

Gotta admit I too was floating nicely over everything on Saturday while my mate infront on his HT bashed and rattled his way through - he even managed to shout back claiming he could just tell how easy I was working compared to his more involved HT efforts!  ;D

Im running MudX's at the moment (fantastic btw!!) which I consider quite high in profile.

I think I just need to watch my lines, but part of me thinks I should have to with this bike! - If I paid the full £2200 for what this bike is/was at retail, I would seriously be losing sleep about the problem.

I think the problem is from the seat upwards and the fat f*ck sitting on it - if I was lighter, I'd be a bit higher and less harsh on the shock and I just need to accomodate the new feel of the bike more.
What height is the BB without you on it? My Inbred is about 13", the Zesy 13.5", not much difference really, Turner was about 13.2" so as soon as I sat on it, it was the same or lower than the Inbred and thats before the suspenion compressed more on bumps.

Something has to give, if you wanted a BB that never went lower than your old bikes then it would be about 4" higher when not compressed and you would need a ladder to get on it.

Your weight doesnt really matter as you adjust the spring rate accordingly and the shock should work in the same compression arc for want of a phrase that makes sense if you are light or heavy unless way off the scale at either end

edit: Just checked my spreadsheet, Inbred is 12.5" but still you see my point heh, a 13.3" high FS bike will already be near that when sat on it with sag so when you use the travel it will be lower than the HT and so more chance of clipping pedals. The problem is that because of the suspension you are able to pedal over/through bits you never could on the HT
On my Giant NRS I was always bashing the pedals. No such issues on the Marin but that seems to sit really high anyway.
The bb's quite low on mine too. I sometimes ground out on the bash ring over logs and stuff and often clip the peddles on roots and stumps. As Mashley said this could be more evident than on the XTC because you are peddling through bumpy sections rather than freewheeling with peddles level. My frame came with a shock shuttle that allows me to raise the bb, but that also steepens the head angle which i definitely don't want, so this is another reason i want some 160mm forks so that i can raise the bb without affecting the head angle.
"Treehugger" Wrote:The bb's quite low on mine too. I sometimes ground out on the bash ring over logs and stuff and often clip the peddles on roots and stumps. As Mashley said this could be more evident than on the XTC because you are peddling through bumpy sections rather than freewheeling with peddles level. My frame came with a shock shuttle that allows me to raise the bb, but that also steepens the head angle which i definitely don't want, so this is another reason i want some 160mm forks so that i can raise the bb without affecting the head angle.

160mm will be overkill andy, you dont need them.

I had some ground issue clearance issues when i first went onto my meta, i was hitting the pedals all the time. You will soon learn to level the pedals and watch out for stumps etc. I cant remember the last time i hit the pedals now. You could change to sorter cranks and thinner pedals but this is just diverting from the obvious that you need to learn to avoid things with the pedals.
Yeh Ive noticed Im taking much more "hardcore" lines on the FS that I may have avoided on the HT due to the fact I can just blast over them and soak it all up.

I especially notice this when following my mate on his HT he would dart around more on singletrack finding the best lines and I could take a more direct line without sacrificing too much speed.

Im sure I will get used to it, but it has got me worried about Afan! - some of those sections are incredibly narrow with jutting rocks.
Are you going to reveal what its BB height is? Smile

PS: Any sign of a long box?
"Breezer" Wrote:Smile

PS: Any sign of a long box?

What the hell?!
Keep it foolish...