This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disk Rotor's
Ok so I have some new wheels, which I need to fit disks too, the disks I have with my new brakes I don't like, nor do they fit, so I'm looking for something that will fit.

Basically, the hub of the wheel is obviously in place, and then I have a detachable part that slots onto the disk side and does up, which the disk is mounted too.
resim

The disk, however, will not fit over the hub in order to be mounted. (the black bit)
resim
resim

Speaking to a guy in Halfords earlier and he said something about the centre to centre measurement of each of the holes from each other, which on said rims is 22mm. Outside to outside (hole to hole) is 27mm
So in other words... The very centre of the disk, won't fit on the hub!
resim

Hopefully you get the idea despite the crap pics. The disk in the photo is from the brand new Avid BB5 brakes I have (and are for sale) so are not the disks I don't like, although they also do not fit, nor do I like them.

I wan't a 180 disk up front and 160 on the back but if this is a simple case of having 180mm disks then obviously I'd upgrade the back. Need to get it sorted because without a new back wheel means no cassette, and no cassette means no new chain, which means no new driveset.. Which means I'm stuck with a chain that snaps everyday.

Hubs are Shimano Deore LX (hb-m585)
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
Confusing me! The hubs look like centrelock shimano ones http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Model...elID=18481   but then it seems to have some adapter literally clamped onto it to allow normal 6 bolt discs to be fitted although not in your case

My new Zesty has centrelocks but not taken them apart so cant comment for sure, maybe remove that adapter bit and look to see if you reckon this is the right type of disc ie a Shimano centre lock http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Model...delID=7687
http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index....57119.html
From what i can make out Breezer is spot on - i think i can see centrelock hubs with a 6-bolt adapter just like my Bonty wheels.  I had to take off the centrelock bolt, fit the adapters and disks then refit the centrelock bolts
Yeah the adapter for the rotor comes off, but even if I took it off, mounted the disk and then put it back on it wouldn't work as the inside of the disk doesn't fit over the hub of the wheel.
That second link you posted Breezer.. Close, the rotor mount sits onto a jagged pattern like that, but much much more 'jaggs' Kinda like a Spirograph thing.

I just need disks with a larger internal diameter as it were, but don't have a clue how to find such a thing.
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
"Papa Smurf" Wrote:Yeah the adapter for the rotor comes off, but even if I took it off, mounted the disk and then put it back on it wouldn't work as the inside of the disk doesn't fit over the hub of the wheel.
That second link you posted Breezer.. Close, the rotor mount sits onto a jagged pattern like that, but much much more 'jaggs' Kinda like a Spirograph thing.

I just need disks with a larger internal diameter as it were, but don't have a clue how to find such a thing.

metal file  Undecided Big Grin
That would compromise the strength and stability of the disk young man.. And I only use a file to get me out of trouble at college  Big Grin

Ok so I've just had a fiddle and voila... Problem identified and fixed. I got the screw in circular bit off the end of the hub, put a disk on.. And it fits. The washer/o-ring/spacer type thing that goes under the screw in cap is very slightly too big so it's very fiddly to get the disk sitting perfect. But hey at least I know it can be done so now I'ma get me some disks I like and hopefully sort it all out!
"Papa Smurf" Wrote:That would compromise the strength and stability of the disk young man.. And I only use a file to get me out of trouble at college  Big Grin

Ok so I've just had a fiddle and voila... Problem identified and fixed. I got the screw in circular bit off the end of the hub, put a disk on.. And it fits. The washer/o-ring/spacer type thing that goes under the screw in cap is very slightly too big so it's very fiddly to get the disk sitting perfect. But hey at least I know it can be done so now I'ma get me some disks I like and hopefully sort it all out!

That's exatly what i meant, although i probably didn't describe it too well.  Glad you're sorted!
I can't for the life of me find Rotor's I like now! I don't wanna spend best part of £70 on them and no matter where I look (all biking sites, ebay, st world, br, gumtree) I can't find none!

Anyone know where I can find some half decent preferable new 6 bolt rotor's?!? 180 and 160mm

Anyone???
"Papa Smurf" Wrote:I can't for the life of me find Rotor's I like now! I don't wanna spend best part of £70 on them and no matter where I look (all biking sites, ebay, st world, br, gumtree) I can't find none!

Anyone know where I can find some half decent preferable new 6 bolt rotor's?!? 180 and 160mm

Anyone???

Wha brakes you got now Jon
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />