This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitness Routine
I have very poor fitness level and sitting in a office based job since leaving Uni hasn't really helped. In order to get fit and be better at MTB I have been doing the following routine.

Monday: Kettle Bells then Spin
Tuesday: Gym
Wednesday Spin
Thursday Gym
Friday: Off
Saturday Gym
Sunday: Kettle Bells then Spin

This gives me 3 x gym and 3 x spin a week. Is it worth dropping down to 2 gym and upping it to 4 X spin a week?

I also bike to and from work (4 mile round trip) so I am using my bike a bit each day over winter.
There are other aspects to riding bikes and that is Bike Skill sat on a spinning bike is in no way improving them. Forums are great places for hearing several diffrent opinions but this is mine
If you enjoy lifting kettle bells then carry on but I would tend to spend less time in the gym and get out doors and ride your bike if thats what you want to get better at, for me sitting on a spinning bike has only one attraction for me and that would involve sitting at the back of an all female class.
We've just come out of the wettest summer and longest winter hopefully and everyone I would say on here is leaping on there bikes and enjoying the drying trails and not sitting on an excercise bike....
"borich" Wrote:I have very poor fitness level and sitting in a office based job since leaving Uni hasn't really helped. In order to get fit and be better at MTB I have been doing the following routine.

Monday: Kettle Bells then Spin
Tuesday: Gym
Wednesday Spin
Thursday Gym
Friday: Off
Saturday Gym
Sunday: Kettle Bells then Spin

This gives me 3 x gym and 3 x spin a week. Is it worth dropping down to 2 gym and upping it to 4 X spin a week?

I also bike to and from work (4 mile round trip) so I am using my bike a bit each day over winter.

I think if you want to fit in round these parts then you'd want to drop most of those classes and get busy with the jaffa cakes.
Keep it foolish...
Jaffa cakes ?????  Far to healthy, cream teas for us lot....
i'll start with the tea cakes at work Wink The gym routine i'm enjoying but once the weather is better i'll start with the rides after work. I went along the canal to Higham last weekend and the wind make it the most horrid bike ride ever!
I do gym and a couple of spin classes a week. Gym helps with overall strength and spin helps with fitness. But there is no better way to get mtb fit than to just get out and ride. Fitness will come pretty quickly IMO.

I've not been riding much recently so I'm still not quite mtb fit, but a few more rides and the 30km summer rides will be easy! Smile

Also riding to work helps but those smooth roads don't quite match rough single track for getting the heart rate up!
My aim is to be able to do a 30k MTB ride with ease. I am really unfit and that's why i'm hitting the gym so hard. Last time I went Bedgebury that almost killed me and that's only 12km?...
I hit the weights 3x a week, full body routine with compound movements though will sink this back to 2 sessions once recovered some base strength. I try to use the rollers twice a week and ride to work 3x a week and have a longer ride at weekends.

It won't be any hardship in being able to ride 30km off road after a few weeks of just regular riding.

Just riding your bike is fine for cycling fitness but I'd stick with some weights for some variation and more balanced all round fitness.
"borich" Wrote:My aim is to be able to do a 30k MTB ride with ease. I am really unfit and that's why i'm hitting the gym so hard. Last time I went Bedgebury that almost killed me and that's only 12km?...

My first ride back on the bike, just Fowlmead about a month ago, we only did 14km and I felt almost empty after that.  So upped the cardio in the gym (Spin mainly, a bit of rowing too).  Then did 32km on Good Friday and 36km on Monday! I was pretty shattered after Fridays ride but much better after Monday's.  Smile
"SMG13" Wrote:There are other aspects to riding bikes and that is Bike Skill sat on a spinning bike is in no way improving them. Forums are great places for hearing several diffrent opinions but this is mine
If you enjoy lifting kettle bells then carry on but I would tend to spend less time in the gym and get out doors and ride your bike if thats what you want to get better at, for me sitting on a spinning bike has only one attraction for me and that would involve sitting at the back of an all female class.
We've just come out of the wettest summer and longest winter hopefully and everyone I would say on here is leaping on there bikes and enjoying the drying trails and not sitting on an excercise bike ....
Oh hell yeah, I've never been so excited to ride my bike now it's a bit dryer after so long slogging through that **it! If you're aim is to ride 30k, then get out on you're bike man. After a couple of weeks riding regularly you will be able to do that with ease. It's not about being super fit, MTB is more about stamina, something you will only build on with lots of time in the saddle. One little disclaimer though, i think the gym is the most boring think on this earth, so maybe slightly biased Wink