This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which GPS???
After a successful KM Ride yesterday, (where the other half went wrong and did an extra 13 miles  Big Grin), he has told me to buy a garmin/GPS!
With that permission please can i have you thoughts and suggestions on a decent one? Undecided
I would like it to map routes, guide me around etc.
Oh! And it needs to be reasonably fool proof too!  :Smile
Take a look at satmap active 10 if you want a dedicated route planner with 1-25000 maps which is the best map scale for biking then this one is for you
The higher Garmin range do use OS mapping but I havent used one for route planning but I believe they are pretty good as well just they tend to be at the higher end of the price range
The most important aspects too look at are screen size and the use of 1-25000 mapping, 1-50000 is adequate but for better route planning on smaller single track 1-25000 is your friend
I use a Garmin etrex 20.  Not cycle specific but you can get a handlebar mount for around £10.  I wouldn't bother with spending the extra money to get one with OS maps just download maps from <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm">http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm</a><!-- m --> . I find these to be perfectly adequate.  I use the GPS for both recording rides and helping me when I get lost when I am riding a new trail or route.
I have an Edge 305 & have never found it lacking tbh.
Yes it doesn't carry any worthwhle maps, but the only times I've used it for navigation has been with pre-worked out routes, which I've stored as a list of waypoints or by following a previously recorded ride.
It does both these things very well imho.

On one occasion I recorded the GPS position of my start point, rode out for a while making random decisions & then asked the Garmin the way back to the start point.  It worked OK, but I needed to have faith as it provided an "as the crow flies" direction to head in & that often needed compromising to avoid obstacles.  Fun though Wink

I honestly don't think any GPS system intended for a bike is going to allow you to navigate particulary well tbh.
As has been discussed several times before you need something bigger with large scale maps to acheive that easliy.
&quot;Tinc&quot; Wrote:I honestly don't think any GPS system intended for a bike is going to allow you to navigate particulary well tbh.
As has been discussed several times before you need something bigger with large scale maps to acheive that easliy.

I thought this until Mike and I tried our road ride on Sunday. The 705 nav system is really really good. Dare I say excellent. Real turn by turn directions with a small map shot of the turn or junction, arrow for direction, NSEW heading, degrees. The works. I would quite happily follow it along a route that I had never seen before and be confident I could get around without getting lost. Very impressed and its opened up a world of opportunities for new rides.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
I've only used my 800 to navigate by twice not long after i'd got it and found it pretty good finding our way around the Peaks, even though i was following a route i suspect was tracked on a phone. Need to start using it properly.
Garmin 800 is great for navigating with, superb instructions here..

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/11/foolproof-course-navigation-on-the-garmin-edge-800/">http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/11/fo ... -edge-800/</a><!-- m -->
Andy