This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Underfloor heating underlay choices
I'm just about to order flooring for my conservatory. The plan is to have underfloor heating with a engineered wooden floor. The question is which underlay to order.

One option is a 10mm insulation board as being sold by the floor heating supplier    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Underfloor-Hea...5ae1290d99

The other option is a heatflow underlay recommended by the flooring supplier     (Link removed on ukflooringdirect's request)

Which is my best option Undecided
There's only one way to find out FIIIIIGHT!!!!!!
The board is the better one but will cost more in labour to fit.
"leadbasher" Wrote:The board is the better one but will cost more in labour to fit.

Cheers. Not bothered about labour costs as that'll be me anyway  ;D
Laggin, what underfllor heating system do you have installed? Whats the themostatt, mines a devireg 550, do you have it on constant, timer or just switch it on when needed. We have a large consevatory that we're not using to its full potential. In this cold weather i'm not sure what the most cost effective way to keep it heated is? At the moment i just keep it off and turn it on an hour or so before I want to use it.
We went for the 140watt under wood floor heating on a 10mm insulation board. 140 watt is the max you can use under a wooden floor. Bought it all from the underfloor heating store.
Mines on a timer twice a day. Couple of hours in the morning and 3 hours late afternoon. That keeps it at a nice temperature throughout the day and evening...from memory it's set on a floor temp of 24 degs. Over Christmas I turned it off as I wasn't working in there....big difference, without any heating we had to shut off the patio door between conservatory and lounge.  No real idea how much it costs tbh...never really had the inclination to work it out. I've got two underfloor systems and my electricity bill is around about the average according to my supplier so can't be too bad
Thanks Lagging, my system was in the house when we moved so I've no idea what the set up is. I know it's wooden floor but not sure on the wattage. I only know what thermostat is as it's written on it. We have our door closed between the lounge and conservatory most of the time. How big is your conservatory if you don't mind me asking, mines 4m x 3.5m.
Mines just over 3x2.75.. 140 watts per mtr is the max you can have with wooden floors but the insulation under is just as important . Not sure how you would find out either unless you have a commissioning sheet or something with the house paperwork. Does the floor warm the room sufficiently enough when it's on.