This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LBS Ashford
Hi to one and all. I'm a complete newbie to this game and just looking to get fit (nearing that age), I have a bike but want to know where the local and best bike shops are to Ashford. I went up to Kingswood on Saturday, and got lost! and realised for XC I need some lightweight gloves.

In advance thanks. Tongue
Welcome to the expensive fun & addictive world of SketchyMTB & mountain biking.

Personally, I use the cheapest glove I can find for summer as they'll probably be knackered/lost within no time at all.  (oh, and I don't look after any of my kit :B)

I'm sure Steve will be able to point you in the direction of a decent LBS as he's based in Ashford, IIRC and he like to brakee/replace stuff almost every week  Tongue
If you're new to the sport, I always advise to buy cheap and build/upgrade as you go incase you either drop out of the sport or dont fully need/use the gear you buy.

A good place to start is ALDI and LIDL beleive it or not when they are running a special's week on bike stuff.

However, for gloves, look online at Wiggle (click the banner above) or Chain Reaction Cycles.

You need to be looking for a thin/lightweight full finger or fingerless gloves.  I expect no more than £10 would still get you a decent glove.  Look for a brand like 661 which are priced nicely for the quality.
less of the cheek ade  Tongue

unfortunatly there isnt much in ashford, used to be a few on the highstreet by they went bust/owner topped himself IIRC
theres only 2 places really which are :

Ashford Cycles - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.cranbrookcycles.co.uk/">http://www.cranbrookcycles.co.uk/</a><!-- m --> - a small amount of stock but more orrientated towards the family/leasure side of riding, knows how to fix most stuff ive thrown at him, so maybe good for the odd mechanical things you cant di

Halfords - Maybe i spend to much time in there but if you need stuff instantly the have a good range of stock, only downside is you will most likely pay more in halfords .... dont take your bike there to be fixed ! only to buy nice new shiney bits that you cant wait for

if you can make it up to canterbury, downlands is a very good shop apparently, never had the chance to go in there as i havent the slightest idea where it is but some of the guys on here use them

nice to meet you (even if over the internet), hope kingswood wasent to muddy as me and jon (papa smurf) are heading up there today !
Many thanks for the quick replies. You are right Steve Ashford is lacking a really good bike shop, showing my age I can remember it having at least 2 possibly 3. I have already Lidled my bike gear an bought some of the shades today, cool eh. 8) I have now ordered some gloves from *bay, some nema breathers, have tied to find 661 Raji but out of stock everywhere.

Many thanks for the help.

Mike