This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Laptop?
Hello All,

Maybe there's someone out there who's so well clued up on computers they'd be able to make a recommendation on a new laptop. My current machine is running out of welly when I attempt to edit HD stuff, so it's gotta be capable of that, and I'd like it to be as well specced as possible in all except screen size, which I'm willing to sacrifice to save money. My current 'puter is a Advent Pentium dual core 1.73Ghz with 2GB of RAM, yes, I know that's old hat and just about anything is better nowadays, but help me choose wisely. Who's the Daddy of the computer world right now?

No tablets please, or touchscreens for that matter.
Keep it foolish...
I'm almost afraid to post this, but would you consider a MacBook? Apple are very media orientated & after having my iMac for 3.5 years I've honestly not had to do anything to it (bar upgrade the OS). Works perfectly & my old desktop by 3 years I'd had to replace the hard drive, increase RAM & rebuild it several times. I know they're more expensive & less "personlisable" (? the word, sleep deprived), but I think they're worth consideration.
I will consider anything, I'm neither pro nor anti mac, they seem very expensive though and I'm anti that. I'm not so sure their stats are very good for the price either but there's a lot to be said for useability and simplicity, I'll not be doing anything tech to my computer, overclocking, my arse.
Keep it foolish...
"alkali" Wrote:I will consider anything, I'm neither pro nor anti mac, they seem very expensive though and I'm anti that. I'm not so sure their stats are very good for the price either but there's a lot to be said for useability and simplicity, I'll not be doing anything tech to my computer, overclocking, my arse.

They are easy to use & very straight forward. And agreed, expensive, but on the flip side Jon spent half of what he did on his laptop that I did on my iMac. He's upgraded RAM & had to rebuild it & it's constantly having some sort of fit & it's younger than my mac. If you think that maybe you'd need to upgrade again in 3 years time, then buying something a little more expensive that'll suit your needs & work for longer it maybe a worthy sacrifice. Just putting it out there. There are so many laptops to choose from I think to be honest maybe researching on Which & checking out some reviews/forums will give you a much better idea of what would suit your needs. Or check out a personal build?
i was the same about a year ago and i bit the bullet and brought a MacBook Pro for 1k and never regret it.

it just works

Colin
If your interested my brother in law is selling his macbook pro 4gb ram, 256gb hardrive, brand new battery and charger fitted in march. July 2010 model. With Microsoft office and adobe premium. £650. Its in Northampton at the moment.
oops, i'd forgotten about this thread. still looking, does this look like a good'un to all you tech types?

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores...nformation
Keep it foolish...
Not bad, might be better off with an i5 processor.

My only advice would be AVOID WINDOWS 8

Utter garbage. Microsoft do take some flack over launching things with issues but Windows 8 is genuinely the most awful operating system ever.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
I got my i5 laptop from Dabs for under 400 quid last year.
I'm genuinely baffled by people getting Macbooks.. probably as they're the kind of person who normally broadcasts a journey they are making on FB to get one and usually tell you without asking how much it is.

As Blackers said, you can get amazing desktop bundles - I did similar and it lives behind my TV and I watch all sorts on it (ahem).

Next someone will be telling me the new iPhone 5S at 700 quid is a bargain.  ??)