This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Riding Designated Footpaths
What do we all think of riding designated footpaths? Not those that sit beside our roads, but the countryside variety?
I am sure we all aware that this is technically not allowed but some of the best singletrack can be out of our reach if we comply.
My own opinion is that we should be able to ride footpaths provided we do so safely and with proper regard for walkers.
I had a situation recently where I was stopped by a chap who pointed out I was cycling on private land - fair enough, being polite, I kindly moved on respectfully to where a countryside footpath was (over styles etc) - I discussed this with Buzz in a thread somewhere.

The footpath was pristine green grass with nice foliage etc - I actually had a twinge of guilt riding through it.

I think as long as you are considerate and polite to others and the surrounding environment you'll be OK in a "common sense" world.  But you'll always get one rambler who knows the law and bend your ear.

Ive also ridden a footpath and was stopped to be congratulated on being out in the countryside enjoying the area (true!) so it does work both ways.

The worst that can happen is that you have to walk your bike, no-one can legally eject from land if you are on a public footpath.

I think everyone on here has the common sense and politeness about them to respect other people on the trails anyway (unless Im crossed by a horse rider, then I turn angry)

And where else would 11 bikers turn out to help a man shift his car out of some mud in the middle of no-where!??? ay?
As a rule of thumb I don't usually use footpaths that require walking over a style, just the odd one sometimes. When on any footpath I always give way to ramblers and say hello etc. There are lots of footpaths out there which would be suitable for bikes but then the horse riders would kick up a fuss "if its ok for bikes, why cant we use it". Yes horses cause far more damage but then lots of people are just stupid/ignorant, the Ashdown Forest Conservationists or whatever they are called for example

I think theres actually a grey area regarding pushing a bike on a footpath. I remember reading a thread about it somewhere before. You can only have with you, push etc, something thats deemed necessary to allow you to walk on the footpath and is required by you/your group, a bike doesn't really fit into that whereas a kids buggy being pushed does for example but it would take a reallyyyyyyyy stuck up person to even attempt to stop you pushing a bike along a footpath!
Interesting reading (yawn)

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/britain/footpathlaw/
Thats a good read, albeit annoying due to the fact that cyclists and horse riders seem to be considered worthy of comparable treatment. i detest horse riders for a number of reasons, but thats another matter.
I have ridden footpaths since i first learned to ride. initially due to youthful ignorance. in recent years i have been more selective, and always courteous. and i can honestly say that nobody has ever confronted me.
the fact that such a law does not exist in scotland probably highlights how unnecessary it is here.
i should probably add that if and when i do ride footpaths i have not been encouraged to so in any way by SketcyMTB. Wink
"Blackers" Wrote:What do we all think of riding designated footpaths? Not those that sit beside our roads, but the countryside variety?
I am sure we all aware that this is technically not allowed but some of the best singletrack can be out of our reach if we comply.
My own opinion is that we should be able to ride footpaths provided we do so safely and with proper regard for walkers.

100% agree.
The only time I've been kicked off a footpath was in the middle of Buckmore Park Wood. There were two of us, it was coming up the midnight & we had just ridden up this steep hill when a Scout master stepped out from his tent (couldnt see his face because it was stuck up his own self important arse). We thought he was going to say "good work guys for coming up that hill so quickly" LOL. No chance, he gave us a lecture on how this land belonged to the scouts & that we were trespassing & had to retrace out steps. Forgetting the fact the main track was less than 50mtrs in front which would take us straight out & off his "Royal land"  he was adament we went back the same long winded way we had come in.  
That was kind of the issue I had, I had about 100mtrs of cycling left before I met with a main rd, but the old boy stopped me to turn me back to the footpath where he "politly" commented that I should walk it.

Firstly, if its a private road, signpost it and put a gate across. Secondly, f*ck off and get some common sense.

Regarding horse riders:

Had another one today while I was in the van, she was running behind her horse whipping it very hard and often - now, she heard me approaching in the van and gives me the old hand gestures to slow down incase I "scare" the horse - Im thinking how ironic you are flogging it with a whip to make it run, I doubt a passing vehicle is the least of its worries.

I f*cking hate horse riders on roads (and a fair few off them). If I was beating and whipping my dog to walk or run faster, Id be up on a charge.
youve got me started on horses!
they make bridleways unuseable. and when walkers slowly carve out little detours to avoid the worst mud & horse crap the bloody horse riders then decide to ride it too, thus turning it into a bog also!
And i agree on the horse beating. why is it deemed acceptable to beat an animal?
And why do horsey women think it is ok to wonder around sainsburys/waitrose in muddy sh!tty boots stinking of horse crap?!?
And why do they decide to ride their horses on the roads during rush hour?!? ITS NOT BLOODY 1865!!
They taste great though. The horses that is.
To try and move swiftly away from horse related ranting - interesting reading how "pushing" a bike is also considered and offense.

So If I need to walk my bike to my LBS, I must do so on the road????

The law is unworkable and should be opened up for all to enjoy responsibly, the government want "green" initiatives - try doing that!
Don't start me on horse women