This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bloody nettles
Well hello everyone this is my first post, I have searched for information regarding this and could not find anything.

I bought a mountain bike a week ago and have been busy getting some miles in but yesterday I went for a great ride but my shins got stung to buggery by nettles up a nadgery climb from Temple Ewell to the A2 by Whitfield.

I know this isn't the most technically challenging of questions for this part of the forum but I am interested to know what the rest of you do about this (if anything), my shins are still uncomfortable now.

Long tights would surely be ripped to bits by brambles, as would a shell I guess, so do I just suck it up or is there a better way?

Thanks for reading.
"wheeledwidewebb" Wrote:Well hello everyone this is my first post, I have searched for information regarding this and could not find anything.

I bought a mountain bike a week ago and have been busy getting some miles in but yesterday I went for a great ride but my shins got stung to buggery by nettles up a nadgery climb from Temple Ewell to the A2 by Whitfield.

I know this isn't the most technically challenging of questions for this part of the forum but I am interested to know what the rest of you do about this (if anything), my shins are still uncomfortable now.

Long tights would surely be ripped to bits by brambles, as would a shell I guess, so do I just suck it up or is there a better way?

Thanks for reading.

Welcome to SketchyMTB ;D

Personally, I just had to grin and bear it for a while.  Treat them as battle scars Wink
Your legs (and in spring, your arms :Smile) will get used to it soon enough.
I don't really feel nettle stings and thorn scratches anymore....
Yep, Rule 5

Oh and welcome!  Smile
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
I was hoping that HTFU would not be the answer  :'( and that some super kit was available. I couldn't even sleep last night coz they were hurting so much.

Oh well, thanks anyway guys.
If they are that tingly antihistamine will always help afterwards.
Man tights could cover you up - I had some 2XU jobbies that havent ripped from bramble attacks and I think they took away some stiing but then again I dont really feel the affects too much.
Or you could always cut them down or weed kill them, some stringers have been quite potent this year.
Nettles are just something you learn to deal with i'm affraid, i actually don't mind that buzzing feeling any more, and it only lasts 12 hours or so, unless you fall into the bush, that hurts a lot more lol. Tights do help protect against them and i have never ripped them on brambles, but i only wear them in the winter when it's effing cold. You could try some knee and shin pads.

Oh and welcome to the forum.
I will investigate tights of some description because there is no way I am willing to put up with this again, its horrible.

I could just stick to the sanctuary of Fowlmead but it would be nice to broaden my horizon
find some dock leaves, scrunch them up and apply, works well to get rid of the stinging!

It will be winter soon and the nettles should die back anyway.. Smile
Welcome,

As the other say you get used to it, and you managed all that climb, its only about 5 mins from me, I'm in Lydden.
"Longjon" Wrote:Welcome,

As the other say you get used to it, and you managed all that climb, its only about 5 mins from me, I'm in Lydden.

It is a difficult climb due to the surface and narrowness isn't it. You won't find me back there in a hurry though to be honest. I found lots of the climbs in the Alkham valley to be a horrible surface actually. Anyway, I'm off topic so I will shut-up.