This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lubrication...
So i have this weird squeak from my erm bottom bracket when i pedal hard... I think the noise might actually be the dry wax lube i am using as the noise is only there on the pedal stroke and the bottom bracket sounds fine when you take the chain of the chainset. I'm guessing it could be a squeak from the chain on the rings...

I've got some teflon lube in a can so i'm gonna try that for a bit but just wondered if anyone swears by a particular kind of lube for a silent drivetrain?

Obviously this is a biking question, not a bedtime one...
Is it a squeek or a creek? - I had a creek for ages and it p*ssed me off no end.

For what its worth, I use Finish Line Wet (even through the dry summer)

I used to use White Lightening (Not the budget teenagers Cider of choice) but found the wax in it built up in the places you dont actually want it, so I swapped.

If its the bottom bracket, then you might need to strip it down and give it a damn good lubing with grease!  Tongue
"BMJBOY" Wrote:Is it a squeek or a creek? - I had a creek for ages and it p*ssed me off no end.

I had a creak for a long time that I thought was bottom bracket related but turned out to be my saddle.  I figured out that it only creaked when I pedalled sitting down, out of the saddle it was silent.

When I tightened all the  bits and bobs on the saddle it went away completely.

That'll teach me to be a big lump...
To much power?

I use Finish Line Dry in the summer... its good...

As Ben says, ifs it the bb you are best off stripping and greasing

I had a nasty clunking which turned out to be my knee.... found wearing the pads has dulled itdown enough to forget about!!
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Cheers guys, i could have reported back if the teflon lube had made a difference yesterday, sadly my gears all slipped so i couldn't ride. Will report back tonight. I took the BB apart last week and re greased, the thing was dirt, but the creak remained. It is definitely only on the pedal down stroke so i am seriously thinking its the chain on the cranks. I've got some wet lube, which never made a sound, so i might give that a crack.
I had to remove and refit the BB on my Turner at the end about 4 times when I got a new one as it kept making a noise. Finally after that last go at it with yet another clean, filing of the threads etc the noise went away
If its definitly a "Creek" Rou with you on the bike, inspect saddle mounts and also seatpost.

My "creek" was coming from there when weight/force was going down on a certain side.

Apparently, one should lightly grease their seatpost in a suggestive manner, Im told.
Covered the drive train in wet lube and guess what, no annoying creeking noise when i pedal... Happy man, dry lube is shite i have now decided, yes you get to have a sparkling shiney chain, but it sounds rougher than a 50 year old fag smoking hooker after a rough night...
Is that speaking from experience?  Big Grin
Im sure any 50 year old fag smoking hooker after a rough night needs some wet lube too!

Lube is the future, Ive tasted it!..   Tongue