This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Isolating a wire
Hopefully someone can help. Ive just swapped over my ancient storage heater for a nice timer controlled electric wall heater. I wanted to replace the power cable as the spur is a good 6 metre run from the heater location but it turned out I couldnt access the terminals in the heater without totally dismantling it so decided just to join the cables with one of these

resim

Now the heater can be run in different configurations, including being connected to a stat via a pilot wire system. So the lead attached is a 4 core (L,N,E & pilot) and its being joined to a normal 3 core cable. The instructions say that if you arent using the pilot wire then it should be isolated appropriately (in accordance to IEE guidelines). Currently Ive doubled it back and taped the exposed tip and then taped the whole thing back onto the insulation, however its a 240v (1mA) cable so id like to isolate it properly as it looks like a proper bodge at the moment.

Any ideas?
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
This will look after all four cables tidily & safely Wink

Definately should not have a 240v cable taped up & folded back Undecided
Thanks Tinc, thought it would be nice and obvious!  :B
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon