This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sand/media blasting a steel frame
Ok so i have decided I want to take my steel framed Sov back to the metal.

My questions are:

What media should I be looking at? Sand would be to harsh I think so thinking ceramic...  

Will I be able to get it to come up with that lovely burnished finish with rainbow welds so i can then lacquer it.

When I say I that actually means I will get someone to do it as I have no kit or facility.

I have a very beautiful build in mind but the more likely scenario is that it may well end up mounted above the fireplace.

Cheers
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Sounds like a good idea - especially above the fireplace.

Depending on how much free time you have, it may be worth trawling the London Fixed Gear forum - you see this kind of frame treatment a lot. Might be worth looking to get an idea of what kind of finish you are likely to achieve?
What kind of finish are you after? Sand blasting gives an even finish but will be dull/matte. If you want it shiny then I suspect having the frame chemically dipped and polished would be the best route. Not sure about the rainbow weld, I thought this was a by product of the heat produced at the time so not sure if you could recreate it after the event.

Are you just going to clear coat over the bare metal? If it gets chipped it will rust  ??)
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Rich.... It is becoming art...   so rust not a problem.

The question is more can i get the welds/finish I want through polishing etc... not thinking of trying to add weld effects.....

Not an area I have any knowledge so hoping Jon or someone similar might pop along and help me out.

Good idea Ben...  cheers
I used these guys to dip my alloy frame - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.custom-powder.co.uk/">http://www.custom-powder.co.uk/</a><!-- m -->

They can blast too. Martin is the man to speak to.

Edit - cost me £40 to get mine dipped.
Every time i've seen anything media blasted on car restoration programes it's left a really dull finish as Rich said, so i would suggest using chemicals and elbow grease, i believe Nitromorse is what most people use. Steel welding usually involves higher temps than ally, so rainbow welds should be presant and correct Wink I know the raw Inbred Summer Season had some lovely colors on the welds. Should look good. I'm half thinking about rawing the Covert, the orange rims would look great against it.
&quot;Treehugger&quot; Wrote:Every time i've seen anything media blasted on car restoration programes it's left a really dull finish as Rich said, so i would suggest using chemicals and elbow grease, i believe Nitromorse is what most people use. Steel welding usually involves higher temps than ally, so rainbow welds should be presant and correct Wink I know the raw Inbred Summer Season had some lovely colors on the welds. Should look good. I'm half thinking about rawing the Covert, the orange rims would look great against it.

You would be better off riding the bloody thing....  

And yes I am hoping there will be some lovely rainbows etc...   will give Martin a shout.
&quot;Mbnut&quot; Wrote:You would be better off riding the bloody thing....  

And yes I am hoping there will be some lovely rainbows etc...   will give Martin a shout.

This is true, but to be fair the weather has been crap, Blean is a swamp, nobody has been riding Kings lately and nobody has been riding the last couple of weekends when i wanted to ride. Had lots of back problems and colds before that meaning i couldn't ride.
Are you going to get the mudguards dipped / sandblasted too?  Undecided
Any stripping process will remove the discolouration from the weld.  The colour is a product of the heating process (oxidation on the weld surface).  To get pretty colours on the weld requires careful control of the heat input and if you have a mass produced frame chances are it will never have had the weld discolouration you are looking for.  even if the discolouration was there during manufacture the frame was probably dipped or blasted befoe paint so it would have been removed anyway.

On another note it is illegal to blast with sand.  It causes silicosis.