This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crossride Disc repair/replace
I have a Mavic Crossride Disc MTB rear wheel. Last year I broke a spoke and the bike shop replaced it and another to balance the wheel as they used standard round spokes rather than the Mavic bladed spokes fitted as standard to the wheel. Whatever broke the spoke also caused a small dink in the rim. I've now had another broken spoke and taken it to a different shop who initially said it would need a rebuild due to it not being the first spoke to break. Now they've noticed the dink and are saying its not worth rebuilding due to the compromise in strength.

I can be quite heavy on the rear wheel at times (I'm 9.5 stone of 'quite heavy') so am wondering about getting a tougher rear wheel. The shop said I'd be looking at around £85 to replace it with a similar quality. Any recommendations?

(for a 2012 Canyon Nerve XC full susser)
Unless you've got too end hubs/rims a wheel rebuild may be a bit much compared to just gettinrbg a new or 2nd hand one. I'd be tempted to keep an eye out for a 2nd hand hope rear wheel else Suoerstar are meant to have so e pretty good offerings
Im not sure Id classify 9.5 stone as heavy. 19.5 maybe...

Max recommended rider weight for a crossride is 100kg.

Post a pic of the dent and Im sure a wheel builder on here will be able to tell you if its repairable or not.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
"treaclesponge" Wrote:Im not sure Id classify 9.5 stone as heavy. 19.5 maybe...

Max recommended rider weight for a crossride is 100kg.

Post a pic of the dent and Im sure a wheel builder on here will be able to tell you if its repairable or not.

Well no, not heavy... but when tired.. Need to get it back before posting pic...
Firstly I'll confirm that 9.5st is not heavy - I could do with losing about that much!!

Not sure I would have replaced a bladed spoke with a round wire spoke - the inherent strength of a wheel comes from every component working together, having one or two round spokes in a wheel of bladed spokes sounds like a rugby team with a couple of footballers on it... or the other way round possibly, either way I would think this has done more harm than good. A complete rebuild with either would have been more on target, am I right in thinking crossrides are straight pull spokes? I know Mavic wheels can be tricky - eBay usually has a few Ksyrium hubs from road wheels where the rim surface has worn out but these are nigh impossible to source as spares as they want you to buy a new wheelset!

In terms of rim damage, you can get away with this if it isn't too bad. If the tyre seat part of the rim is bent I have straightened these out with pliers before which maybe an option if it isn't too bad, although if you're running tubeless this might not be 100% successful. If the rim is bent in towards the hub it's pretty much knackered. If you have the tools and time to bend it back out I'd be hesitant to belt along on it as the metal may be fatigued and nobody wants that at speed downhill with trees and rocks about...

Stick up a pic when you get it back...
Pics. Highlight shows position of dent in rim.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
Less than 1 minute ago" />    Less than 1 minute ago" />    Less than 1 minute ago" />   
I would bend it back with pliers, what I did on one of my rims *

* disclaimer: I am not qualified to give a professional opinion and anything you do is at your own risk
I have a rim that was worse than that which i bent back with pliars and it's still fine.
as people have said its not a bad dent and looks like theres no cracking. iv found the best way to get dents out is a lay the outside of the rim on a peace of wood and using a small block of wood and a hammer tap it out from the inside of the rim. they never go back exactly perfect and if you you try to hard you end up bending the metal around so much it cracks.
Disclaimer: warning this may murder you to death. And should only be perform by trained dolphins.
"Skid" Wrote:as people have said its not a bad dent and looks like theres no cracking. iv found the best way to get dents out is a lay the outside of the rim on a peace of wood and using a small block of wood and a hammer tap it out from the inside of the rim. they never go back exactly perfect and if you you try to hard you end up bending the metal around so much it cracks.
Disclaimer: warning this may murder you to death. And should only be perform by trained dolphins.

Haha. I did think about doing it that way but was worried about hitting to hard and flattening the rim as you said. I taped some bits of an old towel to the pliars and attacked it, which didn't even scratch it Smile