This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dover - Canterbury - Dover
Hello,

We are a group of bikers coming from Belgium.
14/15 June we are organizing a bike trip to Canterbury.
Start will be 14 June in Belgium(Koksijde).
We will then bike to Calais and catch the ferry.
In the afternoon we will bike from Dover to Canterbury via the North Downs trail.

The following day we will bike back down to Dover.
During the last reconnaissance ride we biked down via the Elham Valley Way.
This was a bit disappointing as there were too many fences to cross.
So we are looking for suggestions on a nice trail to take us back down to Dover.

Anybody has suggestions?
We are planing an extra reconnaissance ride march/april but first will wait for the waterlevels to drop...

Next year we plan a 3 day trip and spend a day in woods surrounding Canterbury!

Thank you for your answers!

Harre
Hey Harre,
good to hear from you & welcome to the forum.

We have a lot of members near Canterbury so I'm sure they'll be able to help you find some better routes for your trip.
If you post up your recon' ride dates & approx locations in our Rides section (http://www.sketchymtb.co.uk/Blah.pl?b-Rides/) you might get a few people to meet up & join you too!

Yes, the water levels here are pretty crazy at the moment, how are things near you?

Good luck & have fun!
Jay.
Hi Jay,

Thank for the welcome!

We are planning another recon' ride 22/23 march.
Hopefully the water levels have dropped by then...
Will book the ferry shortly and post our ride in the Rides section!

Would be nice to receive a few GPX files upfront so that we can study the map  Wink

We are staying at the Canterbury Youth Hostel during our biking weekend and are also looking for a nice pub/restaurant to go out for a meal...

Harre
Hi Harre
I may be able to join you in March when you come over.I would be interested to see your route from December,can you post it on here?
[quote author=]Hi Harre
I may be able to join you in March when you come over.I would be interested to see your route from December,can you post it on here?[/quote]

Thanks Flintlock!
Will keep you updated on the date we plan to come over ;-)
File of previous recon' ride attached.

Attached Files
.gpx   Less than 1 minute ago">log_files_3236.gpx (Size: 610.63 KB / Downloads: 0)
Well done for riding this route,I'll sort out an alternative,with less fencing.
I should be available the weekend of 22/23 March as well. I am probably better giving tips where to dine in Canterbury than where to ride off-road near Dover though.

Met vriendelijke groeten, Willem
[quote="]Well done for riding this route,I'll sort out an alternative,with less fencing.[/quote"]

Nice one! Looking forward to it!
Please keep in mind that we will arrive from Belgium by bike.
So by the time we hit Dover we will already have 70km(43miles) on the counter...
Max. distance Dover - Canterbury 50km(30miles).

The next morning we will be catching the ferry again so max. distance Canterbury  -  Dover 25 miles Wink

Thanks for the support!
"WvH" Wrote:I should be available the weekend of 22/23 March as well. I am probably better giving tips where to dine in Canterbury than where to ride off-road near Dover though.

Met vriendelijke groeten, Willem

Feel free to join us and take us around in Canterbury when we are over for the recon' ride!
Will need a pub or restaurant for 28 people...

Our website : <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.transactief.be">www.transactief.be</a><!-- w -->
Our facebook : <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.facebook.com/transactief">www.facebook.com/transactief</a><!-- w -->

We houden contact!
We keep in touch!

Harre
Hello,

How is the weather these days?
Still raining?
Next recon' ride will be somewhere in May probably.

Harre