This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PORC/Penshurst
Porc/Penshurst is situated in Penshurst near Tonbridge.

Address:

Penshurst Off Road Cycling
Grove Road,
Penshurst
Kent,
TN11 8DU

Tel: (01892) 870136

It's normally open during the week but best to ring, open all weekend.

£5 to ride for the day.

Huge amount of downhill runs, races are regularly run.
Jump Quarry.
4x track, nps 4x round being held there this year!

All in all a very good day out.

I've been riding there today, not been for a couple of years but it was fantastic! My trance x handled all the dh runs nicely and the 4x track was fun too! Loads of jumps, drops, tree roots, ruts, rock gardens, road gaps, berms etc on the dh runs.

Hugh
ha i get in for £2 Tongue

have they still got the stupidly placed table on the 4x straight after the start ramp that you have to pedal like mad at to stand a chance of clearing it ?

and did you clear the bridge jump ? god i want to go back there  Sad
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:ha i get in for £2 Tongue

have they still got the stupidly placed table on the 4x straight after the start ramp that you have to pedal like mad at to stand a chance of clearing it ?

and did you clear the bridge jump ? god i want to go back there  Sad

Damn should have said i was a student! Big Grin Do you mean from the large start ramp or the lower one? There is a table top after the large start ramp on the 4x course but thats easy enough to clear. The "official" 4x start, which is the low ramp has a double and then a step up before the first berm. You dohave to peal hard for them as the ground is flat and they are quite close to the ramp but fun to do.

The bridge jump is cool, you can really get your speed up before it so it's pretty easy to clear. I do want to do the large double at the top of the dh but i kept bottling it :B I was on my own though so didn't really want to kill myself! Big Grin

Hugh
sounds likes it changed a bit since i was there then ... im on about the big wooden starting ramp which you can either head of 2 ways on there was a table about 15 foot down from that which was long and didnt kick you up much ... really had to dedicate to it to clear it

the bridge jump is the highlight of the 4x though just the feeling of flying through the air, have then sorted out the landing though? as when i went it was rocky and rutted from skids, i never had the balls to hit the jump after the bridge jump though, kept nose casing on the landing which really shook me up a bit

unfortunalty we went after rain ... the 4x and quary was alright but the DH was a mess!
The table you are talking about seems to have quite a nice lip on it, you can hit it nice and fast, get reasonable air etc. The track is in the process of being revamped for the national 4x so there are some big big jumps on it now! Not all finished but will be soon so i'm told.
Went there today for some riding. Theres nothing like going to a venue and riding it when you had just seen proper riders ride it a week before, really shows you just how sh1t you are! Good day though!

We started off by going down the DH course from the recent race, probably a bit silly doing it blind which did result in some swearing and managed to hit my big ring on the rocky/rooty bit, double ring setup had been planned anyway! Then we went down it again and this time I went for the jump before the last right hander, landed a bit nose heavy and the ground was soft and slippery, front started to go, thought I could maybe save it then bam, down I went, biggest crash for a long time. Thought I had sprained my ankle but is only niggling a bit so was ok to ride for the rest of the day, left thigh is bruising and siezing up nicely though. Glad I had my elbow pads on as I hit my left one hard!

Then we moved to the 4x track where things didnt really improve lol. I got a bit too much height off the first lip on the first triple and nearly speared into the upramp of the 2nd, rest of the run was ok. Next run down I was out front and got near the end when I heard a bit smash which turned out to be my friend Mobes on here landing the big huck near the end, not to flat or the transition but to head! Somehow it looks like hes got away with bruised hands and head. The crash cracked his full face helmet and the chin guard had marks as well plus his glasses cut his nose bridge so he looked like he had been head butted! Bit of a pain about the helmet but it did its job. The lady in the cafe bandaged his fingers up and even refunded him half of the money!

Things calmed down after that and we spent a while in the quarry. Most of the stuff is big but theres some nice small tabletops I must have done 20+ times over the day. The rest of the day was spent moving between the bits. I went off and did a few more runs on the DH course avoiding where I crashed earlier but still fun. Found a better line through the bit where I caught my ring which worked well. The bridge jump on the 4x is fun and my other friend cleared it, I could just about get my front wheel to the end as im useless. The jump after it was scarey as you fly so far then I was having to brake to pump the triple. I got it better once my friend told me to lift the front before the lip which stopped it taking off. Had an interesting moment on the second big berm with the rear sliding up it!

Good day out except the couple of crashs but those things happen. The place has so much potential but it needs a few more DH runs marked out permantely for example. Apparently he has about 3 valleys so I may go and check out the xc bit sometime. The Zesty was quite frankly physically too big for that place and I may take the hardtail next time. I probably wont do anymore jumps or doubles but there you are. I wish I could do some of them or at least manual them but this may come with practise. Everyone was friendly up there and there were even a pair on those skateboard things which looked quite "sketchy".

Was a bit depressing realising how slow I was but there was still enough to have fun and its suitable for all levels really as you go as fast as you want and there are some evil looking downhill bits if you wanted to plot out some other runs there as well.
what a good days riding. well half a day for me. have to say thank you to the lady in the cafe thing (sorry didnt catch your name) she helped me clean myself up and as Darren said gave me half my money back. i told her to keep it but she insisted.

so so so glad i had a full face helmet on, god only knows how bad the crash would have been with out it. looks like ive picked up a bit of whiplash, been checked over by a paramedic and been told to report to the hospital tomorrow if i still dont feel right.

Talking to Mick (the owner) on the day he has lots of plans for this place, didnt give the impression that he was fed up with it all as we so often here on the web or in magazines.

all i can say is LONG LIVE PORC Smile
All fixed now Mobes? How are those boyish good looks... or am I thinking of someone else? Undecided

Anyway, I'll be heading to PORC sometime to see just how scary it is... yes I'm a whimp!
rode PORC the other day after a last minute phone call from a mate. Was quite wet in places but sooo much fun. Did quite a few of the larger doubles in the quarry, glad i've brushed up on that a bit and had an awesome time on the 4x track! The dh runs were ace too.
Looking forward to going back again soon if anyone is up for it?
"hugh_b" Wrote:rode PORC the other day after a last minute phone call from a mate. Was quite wet in places but sooo much fun. Did quite a few of the larger doubles in the quarry, glad i've brushed up on that a bit and had an awesome time on the 4x track! The dh runs were ace too.
Looking forward to going back again soon if anyone is up for it?

Ill definetly be up for it when ive got this new bike done !