This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rim Choice
I'm pretty much settled on a 650b bandit as my next ride. Going to build it up with 150mm Pikes, Xo1 drivetrain and Xt brakes, Renthal Carbon bars... Hoping to have a pretty good do everything bike, apart from really big DH. The only thing I keep going back to is Stans Arch EX or Flow EX rims (hope hoops). From the Stans website the Flow is about 25mm internal. But at 21mm internal the Arch isn't exactly skinny as an all round trail rim. In 650b size the flow is 530g  and the arch 420g, so 110g of rotational weight each end is a good saving. They both seem to have the same cross sectional structure. I know a lot of you run Flows, anyone on Arches? Are they up the sort of riding I want to put them through? Think FOD uplift, BP Wales, Antur at the most extreme, but lots of more XC peddly stuff as well. Oh and I'm only 71Kg before I get kitted up so not heavy.
I have done all of those venues with Arch EX and no issues, 29er version as well ie in theory weaker.... Superstar build with cx rays. Fine with a 2.35" hans dampf at 20psi
Excellent overall decision dude! Smile

Neil doneghuh (all?) runs Archs. Seems like a good option!
Cool choice there matt, I'm loving the sound of that set up to 8) as breezer said if your not planing on running anything bigger than a 2.3 tyre I'd go for the arch. Looking forward to seeing this bad boy built up.  ;D super star ones if there if weight they claim look an awesome choice, I'm sure breezer could confirm the weights.
My builds from them have come in about right, think their site is down atm. You read about bad builds on STW but my 4 have been ok, bearings naff in old Switch hubs, fine in Tesla. Hope hoops will 99.9% be fine out of the box. I used to run Hope hubs in the past but won't again due to the freehub noise which ruins rides for me.
BikeWheelGuy on here is your man for wheel building! When I picked up my build from him he was putting in the new superstar hubs (teslas or something) into some Carbon rims.
Thanks for the advice guys  Smile. Good to hear you are running a Hans Dampf 2.35 on the Arch Breezer as that was the tyre I'm thinking of going for. Are you tubeless? I was a bit worried they would be a bit wide for the rims and end up squirming, burping? The 2.2 rubber queens I put on my 317s felt HORRIBLE!!
I am 95kg kitted up  & just built an Arch EX on rear of my Bandit. Not tested it in Wales but my Covert used to have Flows on their & I have ridden Wales, Scotland etc on the old Flows am sure the new Arch EX as strong.
However the XO1 build kit on both the Covert 27.5 & Bandit 27.5 come with Stans Flow EX rims & XT Brakes & can have Pike Forks
The new build kits pretty spot on with Transition this year.  ;D
Yes tubeless and I run 18-20 psi. Only time I have ever burped a tyre was when I hit a tree stump straight on which snapped my frame in two and bent the fork steerer, the Pacenti rim just had a minor ding and the tyre stayed up........