This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Touching up paint
Morning all

I have a pair of forks where the cables have rubbed through the paint on the crown and I'd like to touch this up.  My plan would be rough over area with some medium paper, spray a few coats of primer then a few coats of white before a splash of laquer.  The area will then have a bit of heli tape just to be sure.

Does that sound about right or is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
Matching the white may be the hardest thing. I would tend to paint the whole of the crown if they were mine
Makes sense.  Would you strip all the paint back or just rough ir over, prime then colour?
rub it down until it's matt then wipe with solvents and paint it somewhere warm.
"Lee G" Wrote:rub it down until it's matt then wipe with solvents and paint it somewhere warm.

+1

This weather isn't great for painting. If the air is damp in the area you do the painting the paint will absorb the moisture & you'll not get a very good finish. Paint it in the shed then bring it straight in doors where its warmer.
If you're gonna put heli tape over it then why not just use tippex (or some halfords touch up paint if you are feeling posh) , it'll look fine once it's covered
Keep it foolish...
"alkali" Wrote:If you're gonna put heli tape over it then why not just use tippex (or some halfords touch up paint if you are feeling posh) , it'll look fine once it's covered

Now that sounds like a much more straight forward option, I'll give it a bash Wink