This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rethreading crank arm
Morning all

I've managed to strip the thread of the pedal insert on a set of M770 crsnks (left arm fwiw).

Does anyone know if this can be helicoiled and if so where would a good place to use?

Thanks all
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
"stayhigh65" Wrote:Morning all

I've managed to strip the thread of the pedal insert on a set of M770 crsnks (left arm fwiw).

Does anyone know if this can be helicoiled and if so where would a good place to use?

Thanks all

Yep they can be heli coilled. Theres a place on the Medway city Estate which do them but cant remember what their name is...a light engineering firm..I'll put my thinking cap on
Do you know what thread it is and I will see if we have the correct helicoil at work on friday.
LH pedal thread is the LH threaded one (I think Undecided)
Make sure your enquiries for helicoils reflect that - it may make it much harder to find.
"Jon" Wrote:Do you know what thread it is and I will see if we have the correct helicoil at work on friday.

[Luditemode]Do you mean the size of the thread?[Luditemode] a quick google says axle thread is 9/16" if that sounds about right?

If you like I can drop the offending part round to you tomorrow evening on my way to work.
Ride the Spiral to the end
It takes us to where no ones been
Dont worry about dropping it round. I have an old crank arm I can use to check. If it is imperial or left hand thread I probably wont have the correct one though. I will see what I've got when I'm back in work on Friday and let you know.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but......

I'm pretty sure it'll be a 9/16" 20 tpi thread & I'm very sure it's a LH thread Sad

A set of taps (that's a tool for recutting threads, not something water falls out of Wink) will cost you about £30; if it can be saved.

A helicoil should be less to buy, but they can be tricky to get right without the right equipment/knowledge.

I think the M770 is Hollotech II Undecided  That means the crank arm is hollow & helicoiling it may not be the best idea anyway.

I'm happy to have a look as always, to see if it can be saved, but also think about asking Medway Cycle Repair or loking for  SH crank or crank arm.
If it'll cost 30 odd quid for a set of taps to fix then definitely better off looking for a 2nd hand chainset, i've seen M770's go for about 20 quid.
Definitely a left hand thread.  I only have the tools to do right hand threads so I'm out.  I am fairly sure you can buy a left hand crank arm for jejames.com.
I've got taps somewhere.