This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hope BB
Are they worth the extra cash over the standard Shimano or Sram ones?
"matt07" Wrote:Are they worth the extra cash over the standard Shimano or Sram ones?

Found they do last a bit  longer, but when I get the shimano cranks I use the BB that they come with and when they go replace it with a hope one.
Only BB iv found to die and not be up to much are the FSA ones.
What skid said.

The bearings in my previous hope headset (frame has moved on) just didn't ever get rough or develop any faults.

Just encouraged my boss to get replacement hope bearings for his FSA BB rather than replacing with originals. Only heard good stuff.

I used the standard GXP on my X01. You do hear very mixed opinions but I thought i'd see how it went and if they need replacing it is likely to be a hope one.
Thanks chaps, that's kind of what I was thinking. I think I would need adapters for the hope bb to run X01 too, so would make it an even more expensive upgrade! Although hope do the bb in the new purple colour now.... ;D
"matt07" Wrote:Thanks chaps, that's kind of what I was thinking. I think I would need adapters for the hope bb to run X01 too, so would make it an even more expensive upgrade! Although hope do the bb in the new purple colour now.... ;D

Yeah SRAM require little inserts.... All more weight Wink
I guess the question for me is whether the Hope BB will last more than 4 times longer than a "standard" one?  They seem to be about 4 times the price.  I have no idea or experience of the Hope longevity but as I don't get through that many BBs I tend to stick to cheaper ones

That said I do have a ceramic SRAM BB on the Whyte (came as part of the chainset) which I've not touched for a couple of years and is still running nicely
Chris King BB FTW.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
No experience of Hope BB's but their headset bearings don't last long nor do £13 Shimano HTII BB's but they are only £13.....
Too many Leg and Arm torques....

"Breezer" Wrote:No experience of Hope BB's but their headset bearings don't last long nor do £13 Shimano HTII BB's but they are only £13.....
Rose Bikes were seeking XTR bottom brackets dirt cheap a while back. they were less than 15 quid, which was a no brainer. I concur with Pittgoat. expensive BBs are a little extravagant when a decent bb can be had cheaply.