This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cape Epic
As some know I managed to get an entry to Cape Epic this year.  The slots available to joe public sold out in 34 seconds last march but i managed to press the button in 1 of those 34  - foolish or lucky i dont know.

Anyway its a pairs event so my riding buddy and I fly out to South Africa in 1 week, prolouge starts on the 23rd then 7 days racing after that covering about 800km and 15000m elevation all off road.

Some of last years highlights here - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...a3njwV2Ob0

Its a UCI race therefore gets the pros so Im not racing for any position, really my goal is to complete the 8 days and get the finishers jersey.  

Illness last year meant i thought I'd have to dip out but I decided at xmas to give it a go, started training properly 1st jan, done over 2000 miles on mtb since then, have to admit its been pretty hard work making myself go out in the rain, wind, cold and dark and I'm pretty tired of all the training now.  Rather than trying to do miles i generally go out for just bum time in saddle and looking for hills, trying to get some endurance in legs.

Anyway its all gone to plan so far, cant wait for the event, I will report back on how things are going during the race.
Never been more jealous about someone doing an event than this. Go out and smash it, enjoy every second, doubt Ill ever get a chance to do this.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
Good luck Derek!  Judging by the rides you've been posting on Strava lately, I'm sure you'll do Sketchy proud.
Well at least there won't be cold horrible weather when you get there!

Best of luck, looking forward to a good race write up afterwards.
"General Sparks" Wrote:Well at least there won't be cold horrible weather when you get there!

Best of luck, looking forward to a good race write up afterwards.

+1.

Awesome adventure this, and fair play. Not something I'd ever dream of doing but really enjoying reading about and seeing all the brilliant pics that come from it.

Enjoy!

Oh and 2k miles already!!!!!  :o I think I'll see if I can hunt you down on Strava just to belittle myself....
"BennyP" Wrote:I think I'll see if I can hunt you down on Strava just to belittle myself....

I wouldn't. It's bad for ones self esteem.
Good luck (you mental) if any sketchyite can do it, it'll be you
Keep it foolish...
Good luck mate. that race is mental. they sometimes show it on the extreme channel
"dgw15" Wrote:Its a UCI race therefore gets the pros so Im not racing for any position, really my goal is to complete the 8 days and get the finishers jersey.  

I've long since thought you a real pro Derek.......... I'm sure with all your dedicated training you will succeed in every way Smile
Good luck!