This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cwmcarn Cafell Trail
Rode the new 15km Cafell loop at CwmCarn yesterday. The most fun I have had on a bike for a long time. Far far better than the original twrch trail, it just feels right. There is essentially a really long climb then a few down sections, another long climb and then more down sections back to the car. For some reason they seem to have included far more downhill bits than I would have seen possible for the amount of climbing! That's not to say that the climbs are particularly short... Really nice variation of trails, lots of fast flowy sections that tease you to carry some silly speeds through tight sections a bit like llandegla. But it has an all together more natural feel to it and you get quite remote from everything else, a feeling I never got on twrch. Definitely worth the visit, although not sure it will be as good in the wet as a lot of the surface is loamy and looks like it will cut up quickly. Probably the best trail centre trail I have ridden in Wales for the grin factor!! Although the sunshine might have helped a bit too, well worth a visit  ;D
I concur,it is  a great trail and was riding well yesterday  Smile I was there with about 10 others from Kent. It rode a lot nicer  than on the opening week-where it was still rideable-but wet and slippery up through darker  woody bits.
I was surprised to see the new downhill still taped off and closed-could prove interesting having an 'extreme' trail  there as a left hand turn off the top of the XC loop could tempt a few outside there comfort zone or could add the choice of a  nice more challenging drop down from the top.
These write ups are tempting me to consider this instead of Afan next Saturday; sounds bloody brilliant ;D
Riding it on Friday... fingers crossed for the weather.
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
&quot;DaisyDaring&quot; Wrote:These write ups are tempting me to consider this instead of Afan next Saturday; sounds bloody brilliant ;D

Oh but I haven't ridden blade yet  Wink. I think its looking a bit wetter over this weekend and into next week its a bit more unsettled so unlikely it will be as dry as it was on Sunday. Speaking to a few people who had ridden it before the weekend they said the mud was an absolute nightmare, and looking at the surface I definitely think its a dry weather trail, which kind of defeats part of the appeal of a trail centre. Hope it holds up ok for you Nigel.
Love Cwmcarn. Such sad news...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/gwentnews/11228275.Cwmcarn_Forest_Drive_____39_Nothing_has_hit_British_forestry_like_this_before__39_/">http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/g ... fore__39_/</a><!-- m -->
MTB trails staying open........will be a bit more barren but better than losing it completely
Was innevitable really with Afan getting it so bad only 60 miles or so away. As Breezer said, at least the trails are staying open.
wonder how it will affect the up lift? as I take it that forest drive is the toll road up thought the woods with the picnic areas, that the up lift also uses.
On Cwmdowns Facebook page they have said uplifts will continue as normal,it's just the scenic route that will be shut to public traffic.
So fingers crossed-especially as Cwmcarn is now an even better place to go with the additional new stuff,they have started uplifting Pedal Hounds side now .I think they split the uplift day over the 2 sides.Cafall was running sweet last weekend - great fun .