This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch
Thought I'd stick this on here before it goes on eBay:
The missus upgraded her phone at the weekend and the new S4 has come with one of these Galaxy Gear watches. She doesn't want it ("not sparkly enough") and I had a play with it over the weekend and it's not for me, but it might suit somebody on here. There are many reviews and guides on the net so I won't try and cover everything this flashy little gizmo does but I'll list out some thoughts after playing about with it...

I think it looks really nice and there is some good functionality with it (including being able to take and make calls on your watch in a James Bond stylee), it'll display texts and emails (although being a watch there is no option to enter text, but it has in built S Voice control so you can actually send texts by speaking into the mic on the strap - fancy!) and it has a camera built in which automatically syncs with your gallery on your phone. I guess if you're the sort of person who wears a bluetooth headset it'd be ideal for identifying incoming calls before taking them. Who knows what functionality they'll dream up for it in the future - it's likely to be possible for Samsung to revamp the OS for it, so the possibilities are endless..
Battery life seems OK - I charged it up Saturday and after an amount of playing about with it for 24 hours or so it's still 70% charged - of course it's going to need charging regularly, which is one of the things which puts me off it but if the functions make it useful enough for you it'd be a small price to pay.
I have no idea about robustness - it's probably fair to say that it would need a bit of looking after - the face is like an inch and a half square of glass and if this ever got scratched or cracked it'd certainly affect the aesthetics of the thing if not functionality too, but if it's the same gorilla glass as the screen on the S3 I've had mine for nearly two years now with no screen protection and it's like it just came out of the box. Also the terminals for the charger are on the back of the watch so I wouldn't like to say how waterproof the unit would be.

There are probably a whole lot of people out there for whom this would be a fantastic product. It certainly does enough to justify its existence, but certainly not the £300 price tag.

The one I'm selling has been worn on and off for 24 hours, is unmarked and is pretty much in as new condition. It comes boxed with instructions, charger etc, everything that was there is still there. I've removed the sticky cellophane protection stuff but it hasn't come into contact with anything except my wrist and fingertip. I can send pics if you'd like to see any, just PM me as I'm still a complete noob when it comes to embedding pics on here. Happy to answer any questions, but as I say, there is much written about this elsewhere and I would have limited answers.

These go in this condition on eBay for £80-100, I'm asking for £70, will consider any offers around there. If nobody wants it it'll be on eBay later this week.

Cheers for reading!

BWG