This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheel repair?
Hi, a quick question, I have a Mavic rim that has taken a bash and has a small dent and crack 1cm long, the wheel is not buckled, can it be welded/repaired or is ready for the bin?

Cheers for your replies.   Wink
I'm not an expert, but i would say if it is cracked then it's not repairable, especially as bending it back in place would put even more stress on it fatiqueing it even more.
"Explosif Phil" Wrote:Hi, a quick question, I have a Mavic rim that has taken a bash and has a small dent and crack 1cm long, the wheel is not buckled, can it be welded/repaired or is ready for the bin?

Cheers for your replies.   Wink

The bin.....didn't you just buy a pair off STW  Undecided
I only need the rear rim only, couldn't justify replacing both rims, hubs etc. I will bin the old rim then and keep searching for another XC717 rim. Thanks for the replies.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/299/mavic-xc717-disc-mtb-rim?gclid=CNLrvee-rb0CFdShtAodbXsAQg">http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/299/ ... tAodbXsAQg</a><!-- m -->

Rim only
Keep it foolish...
&quot;alkali&quot; Wrote:http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/299/m...tAodbXsAQg

Rim only

Think it has to be silver & v brake
&quot;Explosif Phil&quot; Wrote:I only need the rear rim only, couldn't justify replacing both rims, hubs etc. I will bin the old rim then and keep searching for another XC717 rim. Thanks for the replies.

A new disc only rim is £31 - your rim isn't available.

The guy wanted £40 for both wheels posted that you could have just fitted the back one to your bike.

Explain why it didn't make sense to do that? Undecided
I may have a mavic 717 rim brake rim at home you can have.  Condition unknown.  Will have a look tonight and let you know.

EDIT: Just checked.  It is a silver Mavic 138 rim on an Shimano STX front hub.  You are welcome to it if it is any use to you.
In response to your question Paul, I want to keep the bike period correct as much as possible and I want to use the XT hubs and DT Swiss spokes I already have. Ideally it should be a XC517 rim but anything close that is silver will do until I can find a XC717.