This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
which Garmin?
Still dithering about a Garmin....but there are so many......  can i ask which ones you have and how fabulous or otherwise they are?
Do i go for the 510, coz its cheap / the 800 coz its not the newest, or blow the budget for the 810?
I need to know where I am, plan & plot routes, get decent direction for the routes I am on, know how fast/slow i'm going and maybe even get really trendy and load my stats onto Strava!?! Tongue
So in a nutshell, what have you got & how great is it???
I will post my two penith on this subject.

510 - you can follow a bread crumb trail and log all you stats if you want and upload to Strava if you wish

800 - You can do all the above, but with maps installed get proper turn by turn directions when on the road and also "assistance" when off road. If you buy just a bare 800 unit you can get OS maps from Here This will really keep the cost down.

810 - does all the above but you don't have to connect it to your pc as it will upload via bluetooth from your mobile phone if set up (the 510 also has this capability)

Best value for money and functionality would be the edge 800 and the maps I linked to.

Hope that helps.
Alternatively you could go second hand and get a perfectly good 705 that will do all the mapping and directions for much less!
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
The Bluetooth on the 810 garmin is the old 2.0 standard. There's a new one on the block so a lot of money for something that isn't future proofed.

705 FTW.
How waterproof are they? Can they survive daily commutes during the Winter? I've given up on my second (replaced under warantee) Bryton Rider 20.
My 705 is great. Bargains out there as not available new any longer. My extreme weather commutes over the winter months have found it to be v waterproof
"sirromj" Wrote:How waterproof are they? Can they survive daily commutes during the Winter? I've given up on my second (replaced under warantee) Bryton Rider 20.

Mine has been through some torrential riding both on and off road, if anything Ive heard the newer ones (mostly the 810) are very unreliable, even in the dry.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
My Edge 800 has been great and reliable for the last couple of years. Its survived many heavy rain storms.
It's 'im indoors' want me to get the 810, as it's the newist  :Smile, but reviews seem mixed.  Did I also mention that it has to be idiot proof and easy to use.... not great with IT malarkey! Undecided but I so want to move on from using the sundial, compass & the stats! ;D
If you want thorough reviews on each garmin have a look at the DC Rainmaker website. Will tell you all you need to know.