This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LED Lightbulbs
Has anyone made the switch to LED lightbulbs? They're meant to be 90% cheaper than regular bulbs so looking at saving money on elec bills. They're expensive those, £10 a bulb I think.
Yup I put 20 in the new kitchen about 2 years ago instead of the usual 35w GU10 halogen bulbs, good side is they dont got hot and only use 4w of elecricity so really economical.
Bad side they just dont last, I have replaced about 15 of them so far, I have checked every one that has failed and in every case the LEDs are fine but the electronics fails, usually its the capacitors overheating. Either way the aren't up to much...

I should point ot these wer branded ones from ebay at about 5 quid each perhaps if you bought Philips or another high quality brand they might last longer, but they are considerably more expensive.

Andy
Ash, try these Megaman 4.5W PAR16 GU10 LED - Warm White (38°), about £7 each if you shop around.
"lotusandy" Wrote:Yup I put 20 in the new kitchen about 2 years ago instead of the usual 35w GU10 halogen bulbs, good side is they dont got hot and only use 4w of elecricity so really economical.
Bad side they just dont last, I have replaced about 15 of them so far, I have checked every one that has failed and in every case the LEDs are fine but the electronics fails, usually its the capacitors overheating. Either way the aren't up to much...

I should point ot these wer branded ones from ebay at about 5 quid each perhaps if you bought Philips or another high quality brand they might last longer, but they are considerably more expensive.

Andy

The ones on dislay in B&Q say they'll last 25 years!

CheersMike I'll try those.
Who ever changed the lights in our house loved the GU10 bulbs they are everywhere including 14 in the kitchen ceiling, and hardly any of them worked when we moved in. One of the first things I did was change some of them to LED bulbs. I wanted loads so I got some from ebay for a couple of pounds each.

Now this point may be related to the fact they are cheapo ones, but they are just not bright enough. I have used 35w ones and I keep considering swapping them back for traditional bulbs. They are a lot cheaper to run, we have a real time read out on our electric and I would say an gu10 bulb is nearly about a 1p hour to run and the led bulbs barely register. This does make a hell of a difference when you have 14 bulbs in your kitchen!!!
When a halogen light started to pop every other week I replaced 9 halogen ceiling lights in the kitchen (5W each at 20 a pop, support your local shop and all that). It's a fun excercise if you also have a smart meter, >400W less usage for the kitchen alone and another 270W for the extension.

Free to a good home: 10 halogen GU10 bulbs but they probably won't have much life left in them...
LED Bulbs FTW!

We swapped some energy sapping Halogens in the kitchen and hallway to LED and the Electricity monitor doesnt even move when you turn the lights on.  They REALLY used to with old Halogens in.

I got ours from Ebay - had one duff one, but otherwise all OK.  The light is a little colder/whiter than a warm feel of a halogen - but the money saved is worth the swap entirely.
I'm going to have a look at these and probably change them all over.

where can i get a Electricity monitor from too, my supplier?
"mashley" Wrote:I'm going to have a look at these and probably change them all over.

where can i get a Electricity monitor from too, my supplier?

Possibly...
I have this one..

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.directheatingsupplies.co.uk/pid_41311/TSE200-101/OWL-Intuition-e-Home-Electricity-Monitor-TSE200-101.aspx">http://www.directheatingsupplies.co.uk/ ... 0-101.aspx</a><!-- m -->