This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Company car choices
I'm after a bit of advice from anyone who has recently got a company car (or that knows anything about cars generally)

I've been asked to choose a new car (tough I know) and would normally spend some time test driving and working out my best options. Time is tight though and I have to keep this for 4 years so I want to narrow down the field a bit

Criteria (these are company rules, not my preferences):

£450 monthly lease limit
No sports cars
No 2 door cars allowed,
No soft tops,
No 4 wheel drives

Currently considering an A4 (not A3 as my wife has one), 3 Series or on the other end of the scale a Lexus hybrid thingy (CT 200?)

I've owned a Passat which I liked but perhaps it was a bit 'old man' for me, Honda Civic (current car, don't like), Ibiza (great fun but now prob too small) and older style Focus which again was quite good

Personal criteria would be good economy, nice looks (ok that's subjective) and room for a couple of bikes. No plans to upgrade to kids in the near future so buggy room is not essential!

Anything else I should look at? I do more than enough miles that a diesel or hybrid would seem to make sense but then I'm no expert

Appreciate your thoughts while I trawl WhatCar...
Personally if that was me I'd go for the Audi over the BMW on features but the BMW over the Audi on looks. Also consider the Mazda 6 the new one is meant to be very good my boss had the old one which was nice to so if the new one is better it may be worth a closer look.
When you say no 4x4 does that 4x4 cars of 4x4 style, the new Quashai is a nice looking car.
"mashley" Wrote:Personally if that was me I'd go for the Audi over the BMW on features but the BMW over the Audi on looks. Also consider the Mazda 6 the new one is meant to be very good my boss had the old one which was nice to so if the new one is better it may be worth a closer look.
When you say no 4x4 does that 4x4 cars of 4x4 style, the new Quashai is a nice looking car.

I can have 4x4 style as long as it's. Its not 4 wheel drive

Will look at the Mazda 6 then
4 wheel drives aren't very effiecient i dont think. What about Qashai then the new ones lovely, then you have the Audi Q range and bmw x range to consider. Very nice list of cars to chose from. Our company buy us all the same Golfs and thats it the only choice we have is black or silver! Looking at my recent posts good job I dont have a choice! haha
Surely the Audi's are out of the picture because they are "Quattro" or isn't that deemed as 4x4?
What a bizare rule in this day & age..................

Oh! Advice..... Renault Trafic - cheaper on tax too ;D
All the other options are cars so I have no opinion Wink
I'd be worried that the Quasquai is a bit underpowered compared to the others I've looked at. Biggest engine is 1.6 and it seems like quite a large car. Could be wrong though
"Tinc" Wrote:Surely the Audi's are out of the picture because they are "Quattro" or isn't that deemed as 4x4?
What a bizare rule in this day & age..................

Oh! Advice..... Renault Trafic - cheaper on tax too ;D
All the other options are cars so I have no opinion Wink

The A4 comes in 2 or 4 wheel drive. Think I'll take a look at one but that and the 3 Series are on the edge of the budget so not sure how much kit I can get in them

The Lexus is the sensible choice - cheap to run and tons of kit - but I've yet to see a good review of one!
"pittgoat" Wrote:I'd be worried that the Quasquai is a bit underpowered compared to the others I've looked at. Biggest engine is 1.6 and it seems like quite a large car. Could be wrong though

I had a Quashquai hire car, say hire car so it wouldn't have been well spec'd, but it was a great car ;D
Slight issue with being able to see the corners of the funny shaped beast, but you'd get used to that soon enough.
If Ibiza too small what about the Leon. Great car had a Mk1 Cupra R for 7yrs not most economical but great fun to drive. good as an Audi but cheaper so could get higher spec like Cupra FR
I'd go for an A4 if i was lucky enough to have to make this choice. I think it's better looking than the 3 series and has a better built and looking interior, and even in SE spec you get a lot of toys. Engines are very good too, but you probably know that already from the Passat.