This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Superstar Components Brake Pads
Just a quick one.

Just ordered another batch of 4 brake pads from Superstar - Organic, as the Sintered IMHO have been quite poor in performance.

For £19.95 you get 4 sets of brake pads (2 bike's worth) and they provide a "compatible" pad for almost all major brake manufacturers.

Ive been getting on really well with the organics and will continue to use them I reckon.

Trying buying 4 pairs of proper OEM brakes for your bike and see how much you are saving with Superstar.
cheers for that ben, will have a look on there now although i doubt that they will do tektro  :Smile Big Grin

[ot] if i change the pads will it stop the horrible honking noise my brakes make ?  >Sad [/ot]
They do Tektro - my mate Rob has Tektro brakes - bugger to bleed apparently(?)

New pads will halp reduce squeel as will giving them a hammering like you are bedding in again - and a good rotor clean will help.

One tip Ive picked up was to ride your bike after washing it to burn the brakes a bit to dry them before storage.

Apparently my Avid's are supposed to be the noisiest brakes you can buy - never had that problem ever (is that discs, pads, maintenance or what? - no idea)

[Queue sarky comment from someone to say WD40 or GT85!]

[Dont do that!]
"BMJBOY" Wrote:They do Tektro - my mate Rob has Tektro brakes - bugger to bleed apparently(?)

New pads will halp reduce squeel as will giving them a hammering like you are bedding in again - and a good rotor clean will help.

One tip Ive picked up was to ride your bike after washing it to burn the brakes a bit to dry them before storage.

Apparently my Avid's are supposed to be the noisiest brakes you can buy - never had that problem ever (is that discs, pads, maintenance or what? - no idea)

[Queue sarky comment from someone to say WD40 or GT85!]

[Dont do that!]

yeh just seen they do them, might be worth an order ..., to describe the sound more one time i had to stop and check the brakes as it sounds like the pads have fallen out and the pistons are being shoved against the rotor Undecided plenty of wear left on the pads though

as for the bleeding thing luckily i havent had to bleed them, im hoping they last another few months, then when they do need bleeding ill just buy a new and better set with carbon levers 8) Big Grin
"TooYoungToKnow" Wrote:yeh just seen they do them, might be worth an order ..., to describe the sound more one time i had to stop and check the brakes as it sounds like the pads have fallen out and the pistons are being shoved against the rotor Undecided plenty of wear left on the pads though

as for the bleeding thing luckily i havent had to bleed them, im hoping they last another few months, then when they do need bleeding ill just buy a new and better set with carbon levers 8) Big Grin

Unless its a squeel or a honk then dont worry, anything other than that kind of noise then inspect them as they may not be right. Perhaps a re-alignment check to make sure both pads contact at more or less the same time???

If you're a little short on funds, you can go halves with a mate as you dont need to buy the same brakes in the 4 pack.  Ive often gone halves with a mate, but this time around bought 4 for myself due to the amount of riding thats coming up.

Plus ive stolen all your shirt money and ordered myself some excellent kit  Tongue
Super Star pads sometimes have a problem with the pad material coming off the plate so always carry a spare set.

Steve - check your set up, the best way is to loosen the calipers, then pump the levers and hold them in, a cable tie is good for this, then check your calipers are spaced properly and tighten....
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
ok cheers nigel will do that hopefully it helps
I will be binning mine.....the noise has become utterly ridiculous, louder than any Avid brake ive ever heard for example! My rear brake sounded like a frigging UFO today and I expect the others still have headaches as well. It meant I had to ride without braking much as they were annoying me so much although that probably did help my riding I guess. I even reseated the caliper just incase it was that but it wasnt, front isnt as bad but still noisy.

I may keep them for the Fowlmead races as they would scare the sh1t out of any rider I came up behind if I then braked!!! Think Hope rear hub x 100!
I have avids and the same pads, never had that
problem, do get th occasional whine when damp but nothing outragous.

I like them, and tempted to try their new kevlar version!
I'm on Superstars for my Juicy's, and not had any problems with them so far, even though I am a bit brake-happy :B
I agree with Nigel about carrying a spare set.  Good job they do 2 bikes worth for such a good price.  

I did sell a set to Treehugger and he managed to blast through them in 1 ride :o