This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foot pain while on road bike
Hi guys,

As some of you may remember, I competed in the RideLondon100 last year on my mountain bike raising money for the Cystic Fibrosis Trust.
This year I'm doing it again but this time on road bike.

My question is....

I've borrowed my dad's road bike and using pedals with cages on.
My training miles are going up and I've noticed that while I ride I'm getting a pins and needles feeling in the area between ball of my feet and my toes.

Is it the pedals, my technique(eg I always ride flats on my mountain bike) or lack of training.

Any help, ideas and hints will gratefully be received.
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up :lol:
I used to get hotspots using egg beaters on the roadie, I'm guessing this must be something similar. Too much pressure on the ball of your foot, if you're not clipped, maybe technique? You maybe pushing with your toes more (if that makes sense?).
I think I know what you mean.
I did try putting my feet in different positions and found that if I pointed my toes the feeling was less.
Stiffer shoes, do the straps on the cages up slightly looser.
Try lowering the saddle very slightly
Try moving your feet forward too, if you can in the toeclips.
If not they just be too small.
Pedals with cages tend to have a raised rear edge for older style shoes which had a slot in them. I've got them on my bike, they're a pain. Stiff soled shoes / skate trainers might sort it, or swap for some temporary cheap plastic pedals and add the clips. Can you put a photo up?
Keep it foolish...
thanks for all your advice.

Alkali I'll try and put a picture up in a day or two
if it looks a bit like this then they're gonna be uncomfortable with soft shoes.

resim

I made the mistake of wearing the wrong shoes when i did some mega ride last year, I have two pairs of very similar black adidas trainers, one soft, the other a bit harder soled. 120 miles in the the equivalent of flipflops was unpleasant.
Keep it foolish...