This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
clipless virgin
I'm looking at getting some clipless pedals.
Never used them before so I don't know how I'm going to get on with them.

Any ideas on what I should be looking at. Don't want to spend too much on my first pair just in case I don't like them
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up :lol:
I'm sure I won't be alone in saying that you'll get on fine with them - they're not too scary and you do get a big power boost being able to pull up on the pedals as well as laying the power down on the downstroke. I've got Shimano M520s, they're less than £20 a pair and like most Shimmy stuff they're user serviceable and pretty durable. You can spend a lot of cash on higher spec models with Ti axles or whatever but if you're just setting out with SPDs these would be the ones I'd go for (and in fact did!). Like anything cycle related you'll find different people have their favourites - Crank Bros are also very popular etc, but I think the 520s are the cheapest on the market.

Shoes are a different matter, and this is where the budget should be considered. Buy the best shoes you can as things like the stiffness of the sole make a big difference, and bear in mind that you're taking them to places that aren't exactly clean - they will get covered in unmentionable from time to time. I got a pair of Bontrager shoes that were on offer for less than £50 a couple of years ago and they've lasted really well, but I tend to go back to flats when the woods are proper mucky.

Other than that, be prepared for the inevitable 'special' clipless moments the first couple of times you're out - we've all done it I'm sure, just make sure you laugh it off when you forget you've clipped in and keel over in front of all your mates. They'll laugh, but it's a rite of passage!
You're probably not going to go too far wrong with Shimanos. Some pretty cheap ones on CRC or I have a used pair of these that you can have for a tenner

I use Crank Bros which I find a bit better in the mud but they have historically had longevity issues
Thanks for your answers.

I've looked at the Shimano M520s and they look ok, I've also looked at a pair of these

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wellgo-wpd801-clipless-spd-mtb-pedal/rp-prod110508">http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/well ... prod110508</a><!-- m -->
&quot;pittgoat&quot; Wrote:You're probably not going to go too far wrong with Shimanos. Some pretty cheap ones on CRC or I have a used pair of these that you can have for a tenner

I use Crank Bros which I find a bit better in the mud but they have historically had longevity issues

Pittgoat where abouts are you?
&quot;argo229&quot; Wrote:Pittgoat where abouts are you?

Sevenoaks, but I travel a lot and can use Sketchy Mail
&quot;pittgoat&quot; Wrote:You're probably not going to go too far wrong with Shimanos. Some pretty cheap ones on CRC or I have a used pair of these that you can have for a tenner

If argo doesn't have these i will. And i'm surprised you didn't bring up Winchester station again.
&quot;Treehugger&quot; Wrote:If argo doesn't have these i will. And i'm surprised you didn't bring up Winchester station again.

Hahahahaha! I'd forgotten that! Big Grin

Thanks Big Grin
I have a pair of these you can have for nowt.

Only the specialized ones left, although they're the best ones anyway.
&quot;Tinc&quot; Wrote:I have a pair of these you can have for nowt.

Only the specialized ones left, although they're the best ones anyway.

Thanks for the offer Tinc but they will be a bit big for me.

I've seen some DHB shoes on wiggle for £36 so I might get those and a set of pedals all for about £50