This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyre Pressures
Hi there I'm new to mtbing just a simply question I run with Maxxis Ardent 29 2.25 have no problem with them love the grip on the trail but when I'm on the fire roads in kings wood cant pick up speed with out feeling like the bike is starting to slide out on the gravel. If I have a lower tyre pressure in the front would this help I run both at 35 psi I'm about 96 kg in weight if that helps. Thanks Guys  Wink
Tyre pressure is a pretty personal thing and you will probably get varying responses but I would say 35psi is fairly high for general mtb. For Kings Wood I would normally run about 24psi front 27psi rear. Have a play around. Dropping 5-10 psi will definitely make a big difference in my experience. If I'm not peddling far I will run down to about 21psi, but that is tubeless and if you run tubes you might start pinch flatting if you go that low.

To be fair though fire roads can be pretty loose when it's dry, and I often find it harder to get grip on these sections rather than the more technical singletrack bits whatever pressures I run. Equally important to maintaining grip on loose stuff is body positioning on the bike, you mention being fairly new to the sport? Moving your weight around on the bike as you corner can make a massive difference to grip. Well worth getting out on a few sketchy rides if you haven't already and seeing how some of the more experienced riders tackle the corners. Hope this helps.
35 psi is on the high side but be careful not to drop too low unless you're tubeless.....rider weight is something to concider as if you go to low you will be in danger of getting pinch flats against your rims with a risk of damaging your rims. Trying dropping 5psi to start
Thanks guys will drop my pressure down slowly. I run tubes do will be careful. Would love to go on a few rides but not very fit or fast at mo so would get left behind of slow people down  Smile
I run the same tyre in 29 tubeless flavor. 24 front and 30 rear for me. I'm over 14st. over inflated tyres feel horrid.
"Laggingbehind" Wrote:35 psi is on the high side but be careful not to drop too low unless you're tubeless.....rider weight is something to concider as if you go to low you will be in danger of getting pinch flats against your rims with a risk of damaging your rims. Trying dropping 5psi to start

So would you say 25psi in front would be ok with tubes im 15 and a bit stone.  Undecided
You are most likely to pinch flat the rear as this is usually where you land heaviest so yes 25 in the front should be fine and a few more psi in the rear. Especially if you are riding relatively even terrain like kings wood. You are more likely to pinch on rougher, rocky ground or doing drops etc.
"matt07" Wrote:You are most likely to pinch flat the rear as this is usually where you land heaviest so yes 25 in the front should be fine and a few more psi in the rear. Especially if you are riding relatively even terrain like kings wood. You are more likely to pinch on rougher, rocky ground or doing drops etc.

Thanks guys will let you know how I get on  ;D
"Ed82" Wrote:So would you say 25psi in front would be ok with tubes im 15 and a bit stone.  Undecided

Personally I'd drop,to 30 psi first and see how you get on. 25psi is more in the realms of running tubeless tbh
Might seem a tad over the top, but pumps can be way out. Found I had a track stand that was out by 15psi.
Digital gauges like this will make sure you're running enough pressure to not pinch flat, but enough for grip. This ones good in that you can release the air and it will keep reading it with the gauge attached. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/topeak-d2-smart-head-digital-pressure-gauge/rp-prod53796?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom&gs=1&gclid=CPCf0bj2oMACFRHHtAod_VEAVw&gclsrc=aw.ds">http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tope ... lsrc=aw.ds</a><!-- m -->
What to run at is something to work out for the type of riding you do and the tyres your running. But as people have said having the front 5psi lower is what a lot of people find works. Too low and tyres drag, harder work Sad to high less grip :'(
As for gravel it ain't going to make a whole lot of difference, just have fun sliding the bike around on it  ;D