This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Tyre combination
Simple question what do you guys think the best tyre combination is? Make, size etc  Smile
Everybody is going to be very different, depends on what sort of riding ie dh or cross country or bit of both. Also Sumer dry or winter mud, also where your riding ie sandy,flinty, rooty or clay. Or even big mountain rock decents.
I run now a high roller 2 front ardent back, but put a highroller on the back if going somewhere very dh steep and slippy.  both tubeless ready.
Looking at your bike and where your riding, and with it being summer still, tyres like nobly Nics on both or a racing Ralph on the back would be good. Then in the winter swap the back to a mud x, if you like getting out when it all turns in to a mud bath
Good site for buying/comparing tyres is <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/home.aspx">http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/home.aspx</a><!-- m -->
&quot;Skid&quot; Wrote:Everybody is going to be very different, depends on what sort of riding ie dh or cross country or bit of both. Also Sumer dry or winter mud, also where your riding ie sandy,flinty, rooty or clay. Or even big mountain rock decents.
I run now a high roller 2 front ardent back, but put a highroller on the back if going somewhere very dh steep and slippy.  both tubeless ready.
Looking at your bike and where your riding, and with it being summer still, tyres like nobly Nics on both or a racing Ralph on the back would be good. Then in the winter swap the back to a mud x, if you like getting out when it all turns in to a mud bath
Good site for buying/comparing tyres is <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/home.aspx">http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/home.aspx</a><!-- m -->

Wow great site so you think Schwalbe are better than maxxi? My favourite time to ride is just after its hammered down so lots of slippery mud and puddles. I was thinking of getting the high roller for the front what they like?
Whatever is on the bike when you buy it followed by whatever is in the sale when they need replacing!  

I do, however, prefer schwalbe tyres and am currently using a Hans Dampf on the front and Rocket Ron on the back which seems pretty good.

Tyre choice (like tyre pressures and fork pressures) is entirely personal and you will eventually, through trial and error, work out what works best for you.
Rocket Rons Evo's, folding type for me. Best tyres I've had for riding Blue Bell Hill during summer & Autumn... <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.on-one.co.uk">www.on-one.co.uk</a><!-- w --> is always offering discounts on the Schwalbe tyres
&quot;Ed82&quot; Wrote:Wow great site so you think Schwalbe are better than maxxi? My favourite time to ride is just after its hammered down so lots of slippery mud and puddles. I was thinking of getting the high roller for the front what they like?

Maxxis are my favourite, high roller 2s are fantastic for heading down hill, are very thick and strong and great for heading down hill, but are heavy. Schwalbe are lighter so a lot easier to pedal although not as tough will be fine for what your riding, and on a 29er you will get more than enough grip up front from a nobly Nic. Snake skin and go tubeless to get better grip.  
How can I check if my current tyres Maxxis Ardent that came with the bike because some are, some are not???
&quot;Ed82&quot; Wrote:How can I check if my current tyres Maxxis Ardent that came with the bike because some are, some are not???

If you mean are they tubeless?  On the side wall it will say size, compound 42, 62 or super tacky or 3c(this is how sticky they are ie how well they stick to roots or wet rocks, down side more sticky more drag)
If they say Ust there tubeless tyres but will be thicker and heavier. Or TR meaning tubeless ready having the bead for tubeless but aren't as thick or as heavy.
Ones that's come on bikes (unless top end ones) will not be tubeless and are 62 compound . Quicker rolling but a bit less grip longer lasting, good on the back but I like a stickier one up front.
Maxxis Minion DHF 3C front and rear are doing better than my Hans Dampfs all round. The grip is so much better.
&quot;parsnip_the_lamb&quot; Wrote:Maxxis Minion DHF 3C front and rear are doing better than my Hans Dampfs all round. The grip is so much better.

Is that for DH or for XC?