This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1380km cycle Spain and Portugal
Madrid - castello branco and north coast portugal - ourense

Me and my partner in life have just completed our cycle tour of 1380km and would love to share some wisdom we found along the way.

Id like to start by saying anyone can do this, and you do not have to be fit or especially equipped, besides the basics

Between us we had just a few basics, the best place to start is with a small eurohike dart tent under 1kg.
And picked up a light awning to break from the 47degree we experienced in spain.
A small stove is paramount unless you eat fresh everyday, which is cheap!
Be warned here they only use press fit gas cylinders, not pocket rocket type!!

And buy ortlieb panniers, i used altura and they both broke under normal usage , accept no imitations.

Besides the basics a map and compass are plenty good for navigation and dont require batteries and charging

People here are friendly and wildcamping is safe as houses.
I plan to do an indept review of my gear and the creative individual way in which each bit failed.

We did have a broken chain each, but thats it, no punctures or other wheel issues that seem so common with touring cyclists.

I plan to follow up this thread with the intention to dispell any myths around multiday cycle trekking, and hope to share some of our pearls of the road !

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
Less than 1 minute ago" />   
Sounds interesting - can't wait to hear more!!
Having done something similar - I can only echo your thoughts of that anyone can do it, and should. Such a great experience.

Look forward to reading up more about your route and adventures!  Smile
I'd love to do something like this, even though i'm not a roadie type. I love Europe so would be good to see it all at the speed of a bike, definitely want to do it one day.
Thanks for posting, as most people have said a cycle tour is on most of our bucket list. An hints and tips, or reviews of where to go are always interesting, looking forward to your next write up  Smile
Seems a lot of people are interested in stories and that - I tend to find myself wasting hours reading the various travel blogs on this website...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/">https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/</a><!-- m -->