This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100 push ups program
I decided I should increase my upper body strength and push ups seemed a good way to go about it. Found this <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.hundredpushups.com/">http://www.hundredpushups.com/</a><!-- m --> 100 push ups training program and thought I'd give it a go.

Performing the initial test determined that I should do the harder level for the first couple of weeks. I found the first week reasonably difficult but did actually feel like I was making progress. This second week however seems to be a big jump. On Monday I hurt my back slightly on the fourth of five sets with exertion. I decided to move to the middle level for today, but as I recovered quickly had another go at the hardest level. The first two sets, the first of 14 and second 16 I just about managed. But the third set I only managed 10 instead of twelve, and the fourth only 8 instead of 12, and I completely gave up on the fifth set where I was supposed to do a minimum of 17.

From this experience it doesn't seem realistic to expect such progress so quickly. Doth thou concur?
I think i've only ever managed 20 in one go, and my arms were completely useless to me for a while after. I too need to increase my upper body strength so may give it a go, but i'm rubbish at following any regimented routines, i keep telling myself to use the weights in my bedroom every day but they have been burried under cloths for a month or so again.
I'm literally about to start a combination of this, the pull ups, squats, dips and sit ups....

I've got to week 4 of the pull ups before, it did work. Some weeks were a struggle but you'd attempt it again the next week if you couldn't manage it and it would be easier.
I can only do about 2 push ups but I can lift a full pint glass OK with either arm so this is adequate strength imo
&quot;Treehugger&quot; Wrote:I think i've only ever managed 20 in one go, and my arms were completely useless to me for a while after. I too need to increase my upper body strength so may give it a go, but i'm rubbish at following any regimented routines, i keep telling myself to use the weights in my bedroom every day but they have been burried under cloths for a month or so again.

I wouldn't say it's regimented. You just need to do the initial test on a Saturday, to see how many you can do and where you are currently. That determines which level you start at (out of 3), and you then start on a Monday. It's just three days a week, every other day with the weekend off. 5 sets each 60 or 90 seconds apart, but I usually had longer.

I sometimes want to do some on the days off (but somehow resist ;-) so it keeps me keen.
&quot;BennyP&quot; Wrote:I'm literally about to start a combination of this, the pull ups, squats, dips and sit ups....

I've got to week 4 of the pull ups before, it did work. Some weeks were a struggle but you'd attempt it again the next week if you couldn't manage it and it would be easier.

Yes think I will need to do week two again. Either that or drop down to the middle level.
Good to have a target and upper body strength is overlooked by most for ridding.
As for program's Iv found they never work for me, I have got myself up to the 100 push up and also 60 in a minuet is a good one to.
I found doing at least 3-5 reps of doing as many as you can each time  till you can't do no more, at least 3 days a week.  Always found you can over complicate theses things.
Repeating week two. Still at the hardest level. Just looked ahead to week three. Starts with 5 sets totalling 60, I just about managed a total of 66 today (should have been 71). Ends with a total of 120 on the last day of week 3. Seems unlikely...
Well I'm still doing push ups but after I started week 4 I was reading online and discovered I wasn't going down low enough for correct form press up. Going down lower really made the whole thing a lot more difficult (but hopefully more worthwhile). Difficult enough for me to decide I needed to go back to the previous week, and then the week before that, at medium difficulty. Decided there wasn't much point progressing to the next day if I didn't manage to complete a set without having to stop half way through it. Therefor I've been doing day 2 of week 3 for the past couple of weeks. 5 sets consisting of 14, 19, 14, 14, and 19 push ups.

To answer my original question then, yes the programme seems quite unrealistic, at least in my skinny chested experience.
Have started adding some heavy rope work to my training after one appeared in the gym at work. If you have access to one of these ropes and space to do it its good fun and a bit different. Can be tailored to be quite mtb specific if you want too.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mensfitness.com/training/revive-your-routine-with-heavy-rope-training">http://www.mensfitness.com/training/rev ... e-training</a><!-- m -->