This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
chain lube
Simple Question new to mtbing what is the best lube to use on my chain. I do xc and love going out in the wet. I know I've opened a mine field of rude comments  Wink
I've been fairly impressed with the Muc Off ones recently. Good applicator nozzle and it's fairly obvious by their names which one is for what conditions! Smile

Handily available at Halfords too and usually on offer. even seen it in Wilkos!
Was thinking the same question. I've been using a general purpose 3 in 1, which might be fine for infrequent use, but for daily xc leaning commutes, it only takes a couple of weeks before the chain is covered in thick black oily sludge. Tried Pedro's dry lube and it barely lasts a single 3hr ride. What's a happy medium?
For me I use white lightning.  Epic for most of the year and wet lube when it gets really nasty.
Companies like e thirteen have a do use and don't use list for lubes, as a lot contain mineral spirits that are a solvant that weaken plastics and rubber. Can see this happening on chain/bash guards from fine cracks to them simple snapping.
I'm currently using Squirt. It's my favourite so far and I've tried loads. Interested to see what others recommend.
"BennyP" Wrote:I've been fairly impressed with the Muc Off ones recently. Good applicator nozzle and it's fairly obvious by their names which one is for what conditions! Smile

Handily available at Halfords too and usually on offer. even seen it in Wilkos!

Muc off wet lub?
I'm liking rock n roll extreme (the blue one) at the mo. does make a bit of a mess going on but cleans and lube in one and lasts.

Was using finish line dry or wet depending on time of year but the rock n roll stuff is so much better
The problem with the e thirteen list is that being a US company,all the recommended lubricants are US.How would anyone know if a UK made lubricant is safe,like Mucoff?Spent 16 years working with chain drive systems,and in all those years never came across the "perfect" or "best" chain lubricant.Some were better than others.Same applies with cycle chain oils.Who can say,for example,whether Mucoff is better than Finish Line?Has anyone done a long term test,including the manufaturers themselves?Mike Burrows,the bike designer,recommends SAE 150 oil,which is pretty thick oil,which is applied by removing chain from bike,throughly cleaned,then placed in a container with that grade oil in it.But then he is very unconventional.Just use something better than WD40.
[quote="]The problem with the e thirteen list is that being a US company,all the recommended lubricants are US.How would anyone know if a UK made lubricant is safe,like Mucoff?Spent 16 years working with chain drive systems,and in all those years never came across the "perfect" or "best" chain lubricant.Some were better than others.Same applies with cycle chain oils.Who can say,for example,whether Mucoff is better than Finish Line?Has anyone done a long term test,including the manufaturers themselves?Mike Burrows,the bike designer,recommends SAE 150 oil,which is pretty thick oil,which is applied by removing chain from bike,throughly cleaned,then placed in a container with that grade oil in it.But then he is very unconventional.Just use something better than WD40.[/quote"]

Chip fat.
"Ed82" Wrote:Muc off wet lub?

Possibly the worst lube on the market.