This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carbon 29 frame
So here is an exercise to entertain myself while bored in a hotel room

I'm horribly out of date with new developments in the bike world.  Which companies (worth considering) make frame only full sus 29ers in carbon with between 110-130mm travel?

Notes:

*this is a spreadsheet exercise only, for the moment
*I will try a 29er before I decide if it's for me
*size would most likely be small or medium
*it's hypothetically for a "do it all" bike for XC rides to Wales trips
*I know Santa Cruz do about 50 different carbon 29ers but am interested what else is out there (have also seen Cannondale, Specialized)
*as it is just research, price is no object
*despite the above it doesn't have to be a current frame, just one that is on sale
Full sus ?

Santa Cruz only do the Tallboy (the 100mm like mine plus the Long Travel) and I think a hardtail with a weird name. I think.

they are of course stupidly expensive.
"Blackers" Wrote:Full sus ?

Santa Cruz only do the Tallboy (the 100mm like mine plus the Long Travel) and I think a hardtail with a weird name. I think.

they are of course stupidly expensive.

Yep FS

I've looked at Santa Cruz and was considering other options, although the Tallboy LT ticks lots of boxes. But I'm not tall...
I see plenty of vertically challenged people on 9ers. reaping the benefits, looking all smug and fast.
Canyon have a fairly comprehensive xc focused range with a load being flogged with money off at the mo.

Niner would be a good brand to look at perhaps, they seem pretty darn sexy! Pricey like SC though.

Trek superfly(?)? Which I think has more trail based geometry (less xc-race-ish)

When can we see the spreadsheet? Smile
A few thoughts...

Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc - a cracking bike that rides great and is much easier to manual/play on than I had expected.

Trek Superfly - an out and out xc bike, weight pushed onto the bars which made it great to drive through singletrack but hurt after a while and the bike just felt to xc focused.

Trek Fuel - a much better allrounder with classic unassuming trek ride, a very good bike if a little unexciting.

Lapierre XR - 100mm travel bike that'll take a 120mm fork. I loved this bike, fast as you like and capable of handling rougher terrain than its xc bias suggests.

Lapierre Zesty 29 - Horrible

Intense Spider Comp - just beautiful

Canyon - not ridden them but clearly good bikes... just not sure I could ever love one.

Scott Genius - ok to pedal and quite an able mile muncher but a flawed suspension system that simply does not offer modern day standards of performance.

Breezer Supercell - it's a Breezer.... and a very good bike, slightly leftfield too. (as are most things Breezer)

Specialized Camber 29 - never ridden one but certainly looks like it might fit the bill.

Pivot Mach429c - A 100mm bike that can take a 120mm fork. A brilliant bike that pedals great and is so stiff and precise it is a dream, the new VVP design swallows lumps and makes you glide along when pedalling. I would put a 34mm fork on it to match up with the bikes stiffness.

Cannondale Trigger 29 - One of the most likable bikes I have even ridden. Fun yet capable...   easy to pop and mess about on yet reassuring and fast... a great bike.

My Bandit is a medium but in reality it is a small. You are more than welcome to have a spin on it mate and see how it feels....   it is up for sale too   Wink
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
I knew you guys wouldn't let me down - thanks!

Got me some Googling to do

Mr Nut - you riding this weekend? Maybe Sat morning?
Get an Epic...

As for short people on 29ers, Derek seems to manage just fine and he is barely 4 foot.
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
&quot;pittgoat&quot; Wrote:I knew you guys wouldn't let me down - thanks!

Got me some Googling to do

Mr Nut - you riding this weekend? Maybe Sat morning?

Maybe... will see how the knee feels.

You are welcome to give the Bandit a run out whether I ride or not mate.
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Just checked out the Breezer. Check out the rear end!

resim