This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Afan trip
Oh dear.

Things really didnt go that well for me today.  Took me abut 2 hours longer than expected to get to Cymmer cause I went to the wrong Cymmer(tw@t)  By the time I got to Afan, the guys I was meeting had headed off, no biggie, didint mind riding alone.  Coming out of the car park, popped the front wheel up down a tiny 2" drop and there was a nasty clunk as the wheel hit the ground.  Didn't take too much notice, but the front end didn't feel right somehow.  I am hopelessly rubbish with anything mechanical, so probably my casual attitude was down to ignorance.

Before starting the climb, I poked the bike about a bit and noticed that the travel adjustment on the front forks didnt seem to be working any more.  The forks seemed to be on full travel mode all the time.  I decided to ride on anyway, but the front end felt pretty "sketchy" most of the way round and I wasn't happy about doing any sort of drops or hammering the front end too much at all cause I just didnt have much confidence in it.  Got overtaken by a girl on the climb but she was fit looking and riding a Commencal (and probably 10 years younger than me) so I didnt take it too hard.  I caught up with her at the top and tried (failing miserably) to keep up with her along Windy point.  

Anyway, got round in 1hr 50, avoiding the Black Run AGAIN due to my lack of confidence in the fork.  Enjoyed some sections, Windy point, Goodwood, Dark side very much but always holding back a little because the front end felt loose and I was nervous about any sort of compression.  Was amazed to catch quite a few people on the descents as I was really holding back.  Plenty of people caught me as well, but I guess it's all relative, the guys I caught up with might have been on their 2nd lap for all I know...

Oh and Breezer, further to our discussion the other day, I saw the Skyline descent running parralel to the Whites climb.  You can see the Jetlag section right next to the latter parts of the climb out of Glyncorrwg.

Got back to the bike shop and let them have a look at it, thought they could strip it and service it while I had some Lasagne at the Drop off.  Went back in there, credit card in hand and was told the fork was unrepairable (Mostly because they didnt have the parts to fix it) and had no rebound damping whatsoever because of the damage and was dangerous to ride on.

I stood there, credit card in hand considering shelling out £270 on a fork upgrade, and then decided, reluctantly to call it a day and drive home.

Not sure if I'm properly gutted or not.  Didn't have the day I wanted to have, but I still got to ride some superb trails and take in the Afan atmosphere.  On the downside, I've driven for 10 hours today and broken my bike.

Barbeque and sitting on my arse drinking beer tomorrow I think.... 8)
Bugger Sad  Not sure why a blown rebound would effect the travel adjust but I guess its all linked together. Put a post up in the buying advice section is probably best listing exactly what your forks are as I guess you need to decide whether its worth fixing them buying newer ones, you could get a bit for yours on ebay although obviously you will have to reveal the issue. A service is a lot of money so that coupled with fitting a new rebound would be over £100 odd unless they are in warranty...

Interesting about the Skyline bit so what I though about going up the Skyline climb then detouring up on the fireroad by the start of Blacks sounds like a cool little loop to then get onto the last bit of the Skyline

As for going to the wrong place, there is NO excuse for that lol
Sounds like a bit of a disappointing trip...

As for going to the wrong place...  that's just silly....  i take it you have sat nav...

Sorry you had a less than great time...  just means you'll have to get back there soon!!
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Still dont understand how someone thats been there can get lost lol. I took my satnav but put it in my glove box and then wedged a box on the passenger seat so couldnt use it but had written down the directions anyway which were something like M4 J* (forget now), turn right then left following Afan signs....!  Big Grin

Long way to go for one day/trail, why werent you staying overnight then you could have got a rental bike the next day, ok more expense but worth it due to the long drive
&quot;Breezer&quot; Wrote:Still dont understand how someone thats been there can get lost lol. I took my satnav but put it in my glove box and then wedged a box on the passenger seat so couldnt use it but had written down the directions anyway which were something like M4 J* (forget now), turn right then left following Afan signs....!  Big Grin

Long way to go for one day/trail, why werent you staying overnight then you could have got a rental bike the next day, ok more expense but worth it due to the long drive

Las time I went I had a mate map reading, this time I was alone, driving and map reading.  I dont have sat nav, as I would only use it probably once a year I have always thought it was a waste of money.  I printed route instructions from AA.com but for the WRONG Cymmer.  I feel like such a dick  Sad

I was going to be staying overnight.  THe plan was, WHites, then Penhydd then pub then cottage where some mates were staying then home in the morning.  Once the bike had been diagnosed as unfixable, it was about 3 pm and I knew I couldn't ride any more so I just went home.

Rental I did consider, but it was bank holiday weekend remember, ALL the rental fleet was booked out...  I also nearly bought a 2nd hand pair of forks off the guy in the shop but they were cut down too short to fit my frame.  The guy reckons about £100 to fix them (Marzocchi Bombers, standard on the Dawg) but as the bike is just a smidge over 12 months old I MIGHT get them done as a Warranty fix.

Overall I cant say I had a bad time, I had to "nurse" the bike round, it was very clunky if it went through the travel at the front and it really didnt inspire a lot of confidence.  I still got round fairly quickly though, wasn't going slowly, just avoiding the gnarliest bits of trail and taking the smoothest line I could pick out.  The biggest downer was not having the confidence to tackle any sort of drop off.  I wanted to try some of the less suicidal looking rock drops this time out, but not with a broken front end !  Also gutted I didnt do Penhydd as that is my fave trail and if I knew I could only ride one I would have ridden that, not whites.

I have to be positive, I rode one of the best trails in the UK on a lovely sunny day.  Sure it meant about 7 hours in the car and I now have to shell out a few £££ one way or another, but the bike would have broken next time I rode it at Bedgebury.  Better to go out in a bit of glory...
I have to be positive, I rode one of the best trails in the UK on a lovely sunny day.

Absolutely
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Shame your trip didn't go as planned but glad you're seeing the positive side of it.  A bad day at Afan is better than a good day most other places Wink
Sounds a right bummer, and Ive heard the story of "the wrong Cymmer" about 5 times now.

We're going on Saturday - cant wait, although I had an AWFUL dream last night that I kept crashing my bike - I hope Im subconciously not bottling things before I even get there!!

Im sure everyone is destined to have a mare of a weekend away, Im sure Im due one, but fingers crossed its not this weekend!

Plenty of time to go again Dawg - maybe due your poor trip you can convince Mrs Dawg that you need to attend the mass Sketchy weekender there in September.

Oh, and if my bike died and was unradable, I'd be propping up the local economy in the pub for the remainder of the weekend!  Wink
&quot;BMJBOY&quot; Wrote:Sounds a right bummer, and Ive heard the story of "the wrong Cymmer" about 5 times now.

I am glad to hear that, glad it wasn't just me being a knobhead...

&quot;BMJBOY&quot; Wrote:Plenty of time to go again Dawg - maybe due your poor trip you can convince Mrs Dawg that you need to attend the mass Sketchy weekender there in September.

Yeah, but before I do I have to get my bike fixed...  Now do I repair the Marzocchi's or go for an upgrade ?  From the chat I had with the (HUGELY helpful) guys at the Glyncorrwg bike shop, it looks like about £80 parts and £40 labour for a repaired bike.  Do I just spend about £200 on some brand new forks instead ?

My next ride is in 24 days on a hired bike in Lake Garda...
&quot;BMJBOY&quot; Wrote:Sounds a right bummer, and Ive heard the story of "the wrong Cymmer" about 5 times now.

Just had a look on a map to see where I was lost at the Weekend.  Dawned on me that there arent two Cymmers.

The village between Glyncorrwg and Afan is "Cymer" the one in Porth is "Cymmer" according to the AA website.  The website for the guest house I stayed at in April says "Cymmer" though.  AAAAAAAARGH !

Bloody vowell-phobic valley-bothering b'stards....