This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thick/Thin
Afternoon,

Got a new frame on the way and am undecided on how I'm going to set it up.

Who runs a single thick/thin chain ring set up and are they worth it as they sound a bit too good to be true?
Mine has never dropped off the chainring. Paired up with a clutch mech. But then it doesn't see much Gnar type stuff to upset it
as the general says, works fab with a clutch mec and must people find they never need more. I have however lost the chain twice (not much I know) on my hard tail, so I run a top guide on the full sus as my mum once told me you can never use too much protection.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/e-thirteen-xcx-chain-guide-32-42t/rp-prod87855">http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/e-th ... -prod87855</a><!-- m -->
Mine had never dropped till did that charity race at PORC & dropped the chain.
Sounds like it could be a goer then as I'm as far from gnar as you can get. Cheers everyone.
It's not about gnar (seen your times, you are flying)....  it is about gearing ratios and whether you are comfortable pushing them.

I am running a 30T nw on the front and a 40t expander on the rear. this gives me a gear that is harder to push than the old 24t front 36t rear but it is ok. I can get up Heartattack at Surrey and did the Black at Glentress with it so it is all good.

Overall I love it.
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Never lost a chain, ridden some fairly rough stuff Antur Stiniog for example. As Nigel says ratios are key. I also run a 30T with the sram XO1 42-10 cassette, spins up the steepest stuff easily and just about has enough for fast downs. Could probably use a 32T with that cassette for most my riding to be honest.
Brew... what frame you getting?
It's actually the frame you hate more than any other out there nige Big Grin.......

It's a black,650b,trail bike
On one, Specialized or Orange....  

My guess is the new Orange Alpine 160. I could rant over all the things that I dislike about it but it's your bonfire and i've no business peeing on it...  if you can afford it get a decent shock on it, CCDBa would be ideal, no need for the climb switch as pedalling on a 30/32t up front is spot on but lr is super linear so will require tunable top end damping. The CCinline still not suited to heavier riders especially on a single pivot.

That is all...