This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike buying advice
Hi all, I have recently sold my bikes with a view to getting a one bike fits all set up. Mostly I ride XC around the Surrey Hills but I also like to get over to Wales and do the trail centres and some DH as well. Previously I had a 120mm Marin East Peak which I loved and never let me down, I also had a 180mm Marin Quake. The Quake I felt was always too big for my ability (I bought in haste) and I never got anywhere near its full potential.  Tongue

I want to get a 140mm travel bike and I'm looking at the Norco Sight, Mondraker Foxy, Lapierre Zesty and Trek Remedy. Someone suggested ChainReaction's own Vitus Escarpe as well. Would like to keep to either 26 or 650b wheels, for no other reason than personal preference. I have a budget of approx £2000, your thoughts ladies and gentlemen are appreciated!  :B
The Norco is fantastic.

Not a fan of Mondraker, they are ruthlessly efficient in a cold blooded killer type of way...  put me off.

Not tried a 650b Zesty but the 29er one I rode had a flexy back end.

Trek are competent all rounders, never manged to excite me.

My favourite looking bike for spec and geometry right now is the Whyte T130, go to the £2229 one for the better kit.... not ridden one but damn near how i'd have a frame built if I went custom.

Get some demo rides...   I often really like bikes that I don't expect much from.
Mei securis turpe meus vox<br />            
Are you looking new or used?

There is a fair chance my carbon meta 55 could be up for grabs if you're interested to try it?
Transition Bandit 27.5 have a small med & large around 2k mark & all are brand new  ;D
I'm after a bike to tackle those same things too.

This 'seems' to tick all the boxes for me.

resim

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=3560">http://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbikes ... tml?b=3560</a><!-- m -->
Test rides are the way to go, it would have saved me a fortune by now!
Something around 160mm travel may be better if you intend doing some DH on it. The Transition Covert is very good, i have a 2010 and love it, handles BPW very nicely. Also the cheaper YT Capra is just over 2K i think. Guess it depends how much DH you intend doing, if mainly trails and XC then don't listen to me and go with the above suggestions.
Capra is around the £3K mark Andy... however it has come down slightly in recent weeks due to excellent Euro exchange rate ;D
&quot;MobileBikeClinic&quot; Wrote:Transition Bandit 27.5 have a small med & large around 2k mark & all are brand new  ;D

I second that. With 150mm forks up front it is a nice medium between the std 140mm bandit and the covert. V confident bike on steep stuff, but agile enough for more xc stuff. Its my only bike and I ride a similar range of terrain to what you are intending. If you can get a blue frame its lovely  Wink getss lots of comments out on the trail
Thanks guys, I'll look into the suggestions - man I thought I'd narrowed it down to 4 bikes!  ;D

To clarify, I mainly ride XC, mostly in the Surrey Hills around Peaslake, occasionally around Blue Bell Hill and Maidstone area. I would imagine I get over to Wales about 3-4 times a year and of that maybe only 1-2 times would be incorporating specific downhill so it's low down the list of tickboxes. That said, I have just got a campervan and am hoping to make much more use of it heading to more MTB parks / trail centres and our countries mountain ranges. I want something that can cope with a the ups and doesn't shake to bits with the downs. I wouldn't say I was the type of rider to be boosting every jump but whatever I get needs to handle a bit of a hammering.