This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
King's Wood Deer Rut Warning
Hi everyone,

I know I'm not much of a poster on the forum, but thought I'd post a quick warning about the deer rut (mating time) in King's wood, which is happening at the moment and throughout October.

I completely forgot about it and went for a nice long wander round there with the dog this morning. I noticed a few deer just off the path next to me and then heard the stag's rather loud rutting call on the other side, a little too close to me for comfort! I suddenly had images of a horny (as in both kinds of horny) and aggressive, up to 100kg animal charging at me! Ok so I pretty much shit my pants which was probably an over reaction, but just though I'd mention to everyone that it was happening at the moment and that the stags can get aggressive. The advice is just to give them space and they shouldn't get aggressive to walkers/riders. They're also most active at dawn apparently if that helps.

Safe riding everyone!
I too am most active in the early mornings, I often wake up at the crack of Dawn
Keep it foolish...
"alkali" Wrote:I too am most active in the early mornings, I often wake up at the crack of Dawn

Does Dawn mind or is she into that kind of thing?
2010 Canyon Aeroad 9.0 SL
2014 Specialized Epic Marathon
There is a risk,but your more likely to hit a deer driving.Go past Kings,then onto Charing 5 days a week to work.Saw a dead deer on roadside a few weeks ago and over the last seven years,have seen 5 dead.Have had a few run out in front of me,luckily at some distance,so far.Those deer road signs along the A252/251,are there for a reason.Fields of cattle/cows are potentially more dangerous than deer,especially if they have young.Deer are pests,there are far too many in UK,population needs reducing.Cause a lot of forest damage,there is concern with the owners of Blean,that deer may eventually get in there.