This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Bike for Newbie
Hi, im looking at getting into MTB and was looking for a new bike. I have narrowed it down to 2 within my price range - 350 - 400
These are the Carrera Fury or the Specialized Hardrock Comp 2009. Due to various staff offers i can use i can get these bikes for 380 and 365 respectively. I was hoping you would be able to shed some light on the specs of these bikes and which one is best, or if there are any other bikes in that price range. Thanks George
the carrera fury wins hands down, it has hydro disc brakes compared to the hardrocks v brakes, has a much better fork (tora compared to the hardrocks dart 2)

buy the fury and you dont have to worry about upgrading as it is quite high spec already, buy the hardrock and the fork will probally need upgrading along with the brakes, spend a little more money now on the fury and save alot in future

welcome to the forum Smile hope to meet you out in the real world on the trails sometime
+1 for the Fury, I have Dart 2 forks on my Giant, they are not very good. Also my old Fury is about 10yrs old and still does ok. Feel the Fury!
Keep it foolish...
Weights?
Going by the countless arguments on the lesser forum the HR will probably turn out to be heavier.
Though with mine it makes no odds at all, weight is weight, it's gears & technique that help on the hills, less weight only makes it fractionally easier.

As Rou said a few weeks ago (least I think it was Rou) V brakes are bloody powerfull when set up correctly, which is true. But disk brakes are very good, especially hydro if they're decent, and in the mud life becomes a truck load easier.

But either way George, I would be +1 for the Fury, like Steve says.. The forks are miles better than dart 2's (which are monumentally shite) and they will be something you'll replace. Spend the extra cash and you seriously won't regret it. Could save you having to shell on out on upgrading for a few years!
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
"Papa Smurf" Wrote:Going by the countless arguments on the lesser forum the HR will probably turn out to be heavier.
Though with mine it makes no odds at all, weight is weight, it's gears that help on the hills, less weight only makes it fractionally easier.

As Rou said a few weeks ago (least I think it was Rou) V brakes are bloody powerfull when set up correctly, which is true. But disk brakes are very good, especially hydro if they're decent.

But either way George, I would be +1 for the Fury, like Steve says.. The forks are miles better than dart 2's (which are monumentally shite) and they will be something you'll replace. Spend the extra cash and you seriously won't regret it.

ive got the same brakes on my banshee and they just work, only ever had one problem which was my fault, you arent going to find better for the price of the fury
Specialized will have a better frame which will suit upgrading later but then Fury has better components for now so probably better choice as a starter bike then if you like it replace the whole thing down the line instead of bit by bit

re: v brakes, the ones on my Breezer are more powerful than any disc brake ive had but they have a scary lack of modulation, fade after a couple of seconds, dont work in the wet plus you need straight rims so hydraulic discs are by far the best solution
Hi MTBer, and welcome to SketchyMTB  ;D

+1 for the Fury here too.

BTW, are you a friend of Conner?  Or are you cruiser1000 in disguise?
I'm with Breezer.. for a £350-£400 budget manufacturers have to make a decision.. make a cheaper frame with a higher spec components or better frame with cheaper components... I would always buy the better frame as over time you will replace the lower end accessories anyway & ultimately you when get the best of both worlds. That said, it does depend upon your age & how long you are likely to keep the bike for & what you want to get out of it because as others have said, the Dart is a shite fork.
"impished" Wrote:Hi MTBer, and welcome to SketchyMTB  ;D

+1 for the Fury here too.

BTW, are you a friend of Conner?  Or are you cruiser1000 in disguise?

Hes my brother - how did u know that ???
Hes getting the fury and dont really want the same bike but im sure he wont mind :p