This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time for a classic... What Tyres?
Smile 
To get some conversation happening here, thought I'd pose the age old question we hit every autumn/winter time Big Grin
I need some fresh tyres on my T130, but what works well in wintery slop?

Am told Maxxis High Roller II works fab as a front & rear pair in all conditions, but also hear the Ardent (which I've always got on with) makes a better rear tyre than the HRII. Conversely I'm told the Ardent is slidy as hell on the rear in winter.

How about Scwalbe Hans Dampf, as I've heard great things about em?

What's your opinion oh lovely Sketchy folk of sound knowledge and advice?  Smile
Jay Dubster.
Moved to Radstock (nr Bath) but often in Medway & up for a pootle.

2015 Whyte T130 Yari
2009 Trek 8000
2014 Boardman Team Carbon (yawn) 
Maxxis Madusa's work well in the BBH mud  26x1.85 as do Panaracer Muds again 1.8's. On the fat I run Vee Buldozers 4.8
If I'm just up for spinning around Xc style in the depths of winter its high roller 2 front and a skinny mud x or as lagging says a merdusa on the rear.  
But these days I just want to fit tyres to do it all through the winter and a skinny on the back was just to harsh, so Iv fallen in love with maxis shorty 2.3 up front and a high roller 2 on the rear. 
Still can't believe how much grip the shorty gives you, and it sheds mud brilliantly.
i have some Madusas for the mud, not tried them yet but im sure they will be ok Smile
Cool, thanks guys!!
Had a Medusa on the hardtail for winter & loved it, but was pretty harsh so will give the HRII a try, with either a Shorty or something else up front )
Jay Dubster.
Moved to Radstock (nr Bath) but often in Medway & up for a pootle.

2015 Whyte T130 Yari
2009 Trek 8000
2014 Boardman Team Carbon (yawn) 
When you say harsh what do you mean?
Maxxis Beaver front, Ardent rear (29er)

(it's like 2009 in here Smile)
(11-23-2016, 03:17 PM)Deadpool2e Wrote: When you say harsh what do you mean?

I'm mean harsh as in there's no folum to the tyre, so epecialy on a hard tail going over rough stuf or landing the bike, the impacts go right through you. Also found the skinny tyres mean running the preasure higher to to avoid pinch flats or rim dinger dents. Making it again a harsher ride. Can't beat them tough for just ploughing through deal gloppy mud on the flat. I.e a great Xc Tyre but harsh for anything more gnar type riding.
folum

Big Grin
(11-24-2016, 09:08 PM)CBuzz Wrote: folum

Big Grin

For me buddy that's close. Think I might be impruving?