This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting Tyre Facts/Study
Think thinner harder tyres are better for XC racing? - Think again....

http://www.bernhansen.com/Tester/Dekktry...hwalbe.pdf
Makes for interesting reading.  And seems obvious when you read it :B
Its a great bed time read, but something that most MTB'ers seem to think the opposite to.

I was always in the mind of lower pressures = more grip = less speed
cba to read this again but I recall reading it before and I disagree for many reasons
I've read this before and it made sense to me. Look at how fast Andy is on his Moto X tyres!

I think overall speed could be harder to measure, i "feel" much faster with my fatter tyre up front and lower pressures all round. But then it's given me more confidence to ride faster...

TBF it looks like Schwalbe did a pretty comprehensive test...
Downhill and on flat ground I can see the advantage of wide and low pressure, but uphill, especially on a bouncy full suss, I find it worse. It's kinda like having a half flat tyre which your losing yet more energy into as you put power into the pedals.

That said, whether I run them at high of low pressure's.. My HR's are bloody hard work, especially compared to XC pro's.
Having a HR at around 21psi on the back of my bike makes me feel like I'm going absolutely nowhere and exerting alot of energy to get there.
My riding is more up and down than the damn area I live in! And the tart's knickers who lives next door - Combined!  :o
Told you so Tongue

I run at 30psi lately and pumped them up to 40psi on Thursday for the Fowlmead race and definitely found them slower and less grippy. I let some air out mid way through the ride on Sunday and it made a mahoosive difference. So yeah like i have been saying all along, the fatter the better Wink

It dosn't say what is best for deep mud though.... I assume skinny tires are still best for that?
"Papa Smurf" Wrote:Downhill and on flat ground I can see the advantage of wide and low pressure, but uphill, especially on a bouncy full suss, I find it worse. It's kinda like having a half flat tyre which your losing yet more energy into as you put power into the pedals.

That said, whether I run them at high of low pressure's.. My HR's are bloody hard work, especially compared to XC pro's.
Having a HR at around 21psi on the back of my bike makes me feel like I'm going absolutely nowhere and exerting alot of energy to get there.
21psi is too low, at that pressure the tread blocks will be moving around every time you accelerate which wast's energy. The tire could even move on the rim. You'll also get more pinch flats. Try them at 30psi. I have never found HR's to be slow rolling. My current set up of a 2.4 Maxxis Ardent on the front and 2.35 HR at the back is spot on in dry conditins. Not sure what the Ardent is like in the wet... will find out tomorrow.