This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to drill a frame?
I'm after some advice please, I'm intending to drill a hole in the seat tube of a steel hardtail cotic BFE to enable me to fit a stealth dropper. There's a fair bit to pick through on the net but would be great full of any advice you guys could give me please. Here's a pic of the latest version of my frame that comes with it pre drilled.
resim
That actually has a piece brazed on around the hole. Have you tried emailing Paul at Cotic - he is usually really helpful.
My understanding on reading up is they don't advise on doing it. But apart from the obverse of it voiding the warranty I surpose the come back if someone injured themselves from a failing frame means manufactures can't indorse you doing it.
I think the bfe is probably better than a soul as the tubing is thicker.
I'd still probably try emailing them.
I guess another option could be to have a braze on added and then locally repair the paint?
Or go for external braze-ons and a non-stealth dropper?
I would never drill a hole in a frame, the tubes are stress tested and thing/thick in places to suit strength needs. Putting a hole will likely compromise the frame strength and lead to a painful failure.

I'm with Paul though, email Cotic direct and ask advice before
Jay Dubster.
Moved to Radstock (nr Bath) but often in Medway & up for a pootle.

2015 Whyte T130 Yari
2009 Trek 8000
2014 Boardman Team Carbon (yawn) 
Thanks dubster, but already have the braze ons. Means I can run a 125mm reverb, but the stealth option ups it to 170mm.
Sound petty and overkill but I run the 170 post on my full sus and it makes a lot of difference on the steep technical bits. Or when your larking around, which I seem to do most of the time.
Fairy Nuff mate Big Grin
Jay Dubster.
Moved to Radstock (nr Bath) but often in Medway & up for a pootle.

2015 Whyte T130 Yari
2009 Trek 8000
2014 Boardman Team Carbon (yawn) 
I have two different length droppers on two bikes- I find it is unnerving when the saddle doesn't go down as far!
Is drilling a hole into the seat tube any different to drilling a hole in the BB shell (to let water drain out) in respect of affecting the integrity of the tubes?  People frequently drill holes in the BB shell with no associated problems!